Open Ports?

gunterkgunterk Member Posts: 5
I have protected my network (UK) as best I know how to. Here is the thing? Whenever my partner uses a Samsung phone, give to her by friends from Turkey, it opens 4 ports. I then get a waring from Fing, telling me to close the ports as they create vulnerability? I have a BT Smarthub 2. I am lost?
VioletChepilRobinCiaran

Best Answer

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKPosts: 2,232 admin
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks all for the great responses.
    @gunterk - if you like some of the responses just choose: Did this answer the question? Yes/No. That will choose a BEST ANSWER.

Community Manager at Fing

Answers

• PixelpopperPixelpopper Member Posts: 49 ✭✭✭
    The BTvision box opens port 1024 (I’ve never been sure why) so if you have their box I would expect to see that open. However the fact that there are numerous ports open should be of some concern. I would suggest you scan all common ports, you can do it for yourself (if you haven't already) at https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 . Just go to the bottom of the page and click in turn Common Ports and All Service Ports and see your results for yourself. The same site offers some suggestions on how to close ports but you may need to do further research. At least performing the above scan will confirm which ports are open, including ones you may not know about, and give you a good place to start your investigation. With a firewall active, in theory, all ports should be in stealth mode although MS Windows & various connected devices will open ports for their own purposes.
    VioletChepilColang1
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 2,232 admin
    Anything to add @Pooh @kltaylor @hronos ?

• gunterkgunterk Member Posts: 5
    Many thanks, I'll check out the website to better understand and to find a way to close these ports.

VioletChepil
    gunterk said:
    Many thanks, I'll check out the website to better understand and to find a way to close these ports.

Just bear in mind that, for example, if you are using BTvision closing port 1024 may adversely affect the operation of the service & you may have to re-open the port to enable correct functionality. Good luck.
    VioletChepil
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @gunterk Can you tell me what ports are opened specifically, and if you power down the cell phone, do the ports also close?
    My main concern about this is the theory that a cell phone is overriding your router's preferences for opened ports.  As a device connected to your network, regardless of the application it should not work unless you manually provide credentials to do so.
    Send me some more information and let's take a deeper dive.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepilMakerMac911
    kltaylor, thank you for your question. Right now, I have 2 open ports. One for my router (TCP 8085) and one for WhatsApp (UDP 53177). When my partner switches on her Samsung phone, it opens ports, when I ask her to switch it off, the ports close. My firewall is on. Her phone is in my list of devices, yet none of my other devices open ports? It's that what's made me suspicious that something is going on, apart from the moment she switches on the Samsung, I get a notice from Fing, telling me about the open ports and possible vulnerability. She has 2 other phones and these don't open ports. What is it that I don't understand?
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 2,232 admin

• CybersalCybersal Member Posts: 10
    What you should do is login into your router and make sure Plug and Play is not on.
    This way it would be safer than having any program automatically open ports.
    I the port needs to be opened then you can go and open it yourself using the port forwarding feature.
    See your router's documentation on login into your router.
    VioletChepilMakerMac911Crowgrandfather
    @Cybersal has the right idea.  Inside the router, config turn OFF PnP or Plug and Play functionality.  You don't want to have devices opening ports at random regardless.  If they need to use the app while on your network, they should provide you the information/ports so that you can manage it.
    VioletChepilMakerMac911
    gunterk said:
    kltaylor, thank you for your question. Right now, I have 2 open ports. One for my router (TCP 8085) and one for WhatsApp (UDP 53177). When my partner switches on her Samsung phone, it opens ports, when I ask her to switch it off, the ports close. My firewall is on. Her phone is in my list of devices, yet none of my other devices open ports? It's that what's made me suspicious that something is going on, apart from the moment she switches on the Samsung, I get a notice from Fing, telling me about the open ports and possible vulnerability. She has 2 other phones and these don't open ports. What is it that I don't understand?
    FYI - WhatsApp uses the following ports, but there may be others

TCP Ports; 80, 443, 4244, 5222, 5223, 5228, 5242, 50318, 59234

UDP Ports: 3478, 45395, 50318, 59234

When troubleshooting unknown open ports, it’s useful to find exactly what services/processes are listening to them. You can do this in Windows command prompt using the "netstat -aon" command. You could also try running multiple anti-virus/anti-malware scans to rule out the possibility of active malicious software. Good luck.
    VioletChepilMakerMac911
    @Cybersal is right, disabling “upnp” will enhance your network security, there are many other things you could do e.g. disable netbios etc., for more information on network security (especially for windows) there’s a wealth of practical help at http://www.grc.com/ and also some free network security apps.
    VioletChepilkltaylorMakerMac911
    I start to question the validity of an app when it opens ports on its own that it requires outside of using the internet as the communication vehicle.  Unless you're hosting a private server of some sort, the app should not open that many ports, in my opinion.
    MakerMac911CybersalVioletChepil
    Thank you, that confirms my thinking. It's my patterns phone so I don't check it out, though will now see if I can get consent for access so I can figure out what's going on and maybe delete and reinstall the app?
    VioletChepil
  • MarcMarc Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, you might want to check that the app is the official, non modified version of the whatapp, downloaded from the Google App Store from the vendor.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil
    Marc, many thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.
    VioletChepil