Parental control: what parental control apps and tools are you using?

VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 2,231 admin
Hello all,
Just wondering what today's parent needs to be equipped with for parental control.
What apps and tools are you using?
What works and what doesn't work?
Curious to get some feedback about what's out there and what works best. 

Community Manager at Fing

Tagged:
CiaranRobinkltaylor

Comments

• MDavideMDavide Member Posts: 46 ✭✭✭
    I tried family link from google , which gives an excellent basis for free. Today I stay with screen time from screentimelabs. The fee I pay, few bucks per month, is worth the functionalities: complete and flexible. 
    Davide
    VioletChepilCiaran
  • attzonkoattzonko Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Many of the devices I need to monitor as a parent are part of the Apple ecosystem. I have tried the free tier of Qstudio, and that worked for a while, but with the free tier I was limited to a single device monitoring. I switched over to Fing once some of the parental controls were provided. I mostly took advantage of the Scheduled internet pause feature, to disable the internet connection to all devices (Phone, Chromebook, Echo, etc.) assigned to a specific child. That took care of Wifi restriction, but I still had to deal with Cell data, my mobile carrier has a solution, which has a monthly fee, so that was a no-go for me. I ended up pairing Apple's new parental controls with Fing's and that is what I currently use. Where on the Apple side, I have limits set up on how many total hours per day can be spent on Games + Social media.  It is still not perfect, because it is not easy to just add an extra 30mins on some days (example: kid is sick and stays home that day). In general this is a lot better than what we had 5+ years ago. 
    VioletChepilCiaranGrammaK
  • PixelpopperPixelpopper Member Posts: 49 ✭✭✭
    While it may not be the most effective, BT hubs (U.K.) allow control of access to the internet, i.e. block access at certain times, also specific websites can be blocked by entering the URL. A number of other Modem/Router manufacturers offer the same type of functionality but often use terminology which confuses the actual purpose, before you think of paying for such facilities read your device manual the chances are it is built in and available for “free.”
    CiaranVioletChepilbumpyKnuckles
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,
    Just wondering what today's parent needs to be equipped with for parental control.
    What apps and tools are you using?
    What works and what doesn't work?
    Curious to get some feedback about what's out there and what works best. 
    Right now we use ourselves as the monitoring agent.  Our youngest daughter's computer is in our bedroom where our computers are, and we don't discount talking about things, answering questions and involving her with those.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    keithatpdaUltrasnoopVioletChepilbumpyKnucklesGrammaK
  • keithatpdakeithatpda Member Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

Depends on age.

Our experience, computers in the living area was a good casual approach, for the early years.

Of course that's useless for teenagers with phones and tablets.

Apps of limited use once they are smarter than us.

Fairly frequent discussions of online interests and activities, helps a little.

Fing scheduled pause does the job nicely for keeping them on the same timezone.

attzonkoUltrasnoopVioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 2,231 admin
    Thanks all for the feedback on this. Its a whole new world for me. Also wondering how much monitoring is appropriate by different ages but perhaps that's another thread. 

Community Manager at Fing