Roon Music Streaming

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
✭✭✭
Roon streaming software is rapidly become the standard for music streaming and relies heavily on Metadata to provide a rich user experience with artist graphics and data retrieved from numerous web content providers. It also enables control of multi-room devices via wirelessly via Airplay also through hardwired networks. 
Being media rich the Roon system relies heavily a good stable network with similarly good (High) speed capabilities.
Having suffered many streaming issues (media dropouts, dropped network connections, etc.) I replaced my expensive Netgear router with a Linksys Velop Mesh Network and my problems reduced considerably making the whole user experience a far more enjoyable.

Are you a Roon user? What are your issues/fixes?
VioletChepilCiaran

Comments

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no direct experience, but have promoted this so it will appear on the homepage to get more experts advice! 

Community Manager at Fing

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,802
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I use combinations of Kodi on Libreelec hosted on a Raspberry Pi with Sonos and other speakers throughout the house.  Same kind of meta data support but its free...  and like you’ve seen, its only as good as the network behind it.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    Marc, i couldn’t agree more good metadata, on a good network, make for a really pleasant and informative experience. I have used Kodi for video and while very efficient (& flexible) it really doesn’t compare for the metadata provision or the multi-room (Zone) control + digital processing (e.g. MQA, room correction..). With all of that going on a good Wi-fi network is essential (or wired). If you haven’t checked out Roon you can try it for free for a couple weeks at https://roonlabs.com/ 
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,802
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I see the magic words on their website, @Pixelpopper, “try it fo free”.   :)
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    Of course Roon only handles Audio streaming & it’s A big financial commitment.....
    MarcCiaran