Fing Desktop Beta for Windows and macOS - claim your seat!

Comments

• MDavide
    MDavide Member Posts: 53
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
    ✭✭✭

Would love to try it out but I use my Mac so rarely compared to mobile devices that I would not be a good tester 😂

Davide
    VioletChepil
  • said85
    said85 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    i want for window 10 copy
    VioletChepilbtstana
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @said85 @Peyton @MDavide for the feedback.
    Right now, the requirements are a PC with Windows or macOS running. 
    @said85 since you have Windows this should be OK.
    @Peyton @MDavide - if you follow beta testing category, you will get informed about other beta testing news that may better meet your requirements! Hopefully we'll have something for you soon. 

Community Manager at Fing

ThumbOneTom77Crow
  • Carlo_from_Fing
    Carlo_from_Fing Rome, ItalyAdministrator, Fing Team Posts: 247
    100 Likes 100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    ThumbOne said:
    Bit bamboozled. Developing a desktop app where the rest of the world is moving the oppisite direction, and then not developing it with a platform independent technology like Java, Python,  C#/Mono? Got me bamboozled what motivates that. Aside from the fact that you ignore probably a significant portion of your early adopters, Linux users, and quite probably have a Linux embedded system in the Fingbox itself.

Thanks for this comment @ThumbOne, it allows us to provide further details on several angles you mentioned.
    • Desktop app where world is moving opposite: not really, the usefulness of having a desktop counterpart is proven by Whatsapp, Telegram and many others. In their case it's just visualization, while in case of Fing, being able to run on a laptop/desktop will provide even richer features when compared to just the mobile app. Moreover in our case it's part of our company mission of empowering people with knowledge of their digital environment, to troubleshoot and solve everyday IT problems. Beyond the mobile app and the physical device, we believe having a Fing for PC will be an amazing addition to our portfolio.
    • Not developing with a platform independent technology: beyond our core networking engine, that was born several years ago by leveraging cross-platform technology and libraries (C/C++ with boost), for the UI of the Fing Desktop we chose Electron (electronjs.org, used e.g. by Whatsapp and Slack). So being portable to other platforms has always been a priority to us.
    • Ignore that a significant portion of our early adopters are Linux users: Not sure if you all know but even before Fing, there was [email protected], a basic network scanner, only for Windows, I built as my degree thesis. Beyond the trip down memory lane, we did research and analysis and the most audience of Fing'ers is having Windows laptops/computers, followed by Mac users. Linux users is a bit of a niche for this use case, and since it's very fragmented we have been collecting most used platforms to have baselines for future product evolutions. 

Carlo from Fing

Hronosmarco_from_fingVioletChepilAndreavulcansheartStevenJd45390bjlaurie
  • Syl
    Syl Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    Signed up~
    VioletChepilmarco_from_fing
  • Dark_Hunter
    Dark_Hunter Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Do we have a ballpark eta for the release of this beta for windows?
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Dark_Hunter before the end of November the beta will definitely start for a bit more visibility on this! 

HronosDark_Hunter
  • TonyEtt
    TonyEtt Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    Thank you Carlo_from_Fing for providing a clear unemotional answer to some questions raised (by ThumbOne), that provided me for one with more understanding and context.  I have found the Fing boxes very helpful in understanding some issues with my home system network performance, and extremely reassuring for system security (awareness, for example when an iPhone user with a network password shares with other users).  I will be a user who will appreciate being able to go deeper with a desktop system on Windows 10 / MacOS. 
    When the Beta testing is over, have you considered creating a simple "how to go deep with the app" video, as I imagine that I would not be the only user who would benefit.  (You don't need to reply, just putting it out there).  Thanks again for explaining some of the background.
    ThumbOneCarlo_from_FingVioletChepilJd45390
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @TonyEtt for the feedback! This is a good idea. I wonder how the community could be used for such activities too. 

Jd45390
  • Carlo_from_Fing
    Carlo_from_Fing Rome, ItalyAdministrator, Fing Team Posts: 247
    100 Likes 100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    As matter of fact we are heading exactly towards this direction: starting with Fing Desktop we are aiming at bridging more and more between who has the knowledge to go deep and who is in need of help and knowledge.
    We cannot wait to have you all trying it out.
    As @VioletChepil announced, we are very near now, consolidating the features to make sure you get a stable software and can dedicate yourself in reporting feedback and suggestions instead of bugs.

Carlo from Fing

VioletChepilJd45390
  • Carlo
    Carlo Padova (Veneto/Italia)Member, Beta Tester Posts: 41
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭
    edited November 14, 2019 #72
    To Carlo_from_Fing,
    thanks for the explanations.
    Personally I felt the lack of desktop program.
    How much he could do with the web browser was less than it could be managed with the smartphone app.
    Being able to do everything easily from the computer console (desktop or laptop) I consider it an optimal solution.

VioletChepilCarlo_from_FingJd45390
  • alfredomarchena
    alfredomarchena Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    this is exciting news. i have around 50 devices in my house with IP addresses and MacOS and Windows so im looking forward to it
    VioletChepil
  • Borstie
    Borstie Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Hello, everybody,
    if the beta starts before the end of November, is it sure that all Windows 10 versions will be supported? I'm asking because I installed a preview version of Windows 10 Enterprise with build 19023.vb_release.191108-1432.
    Thank you Borstie
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Borstie I'm not sure but will check with @Carlo_from_Fing

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Borstie I've checked with @Carlo_from_Fing and Fing Desktop will be available in beta for Windows10. This is great because you can let us know about your experience. Thanks for beta testing both! 

[Deleted User]HronosBorstie
  • ChrismTCL
    ChrismTCL Member, Beta Tester Posts: 28
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes
    ✭✭

As a seasoned Beta tester with a well known accounting package developer, I am looking forward to providing help with testing for Fing. 

VioletChepil
  • GrammaK
    GrammaK Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment

I'd love the chance to participate! I'm An average user, 30+ devices in my home. I use Apple AirPort Extreme and have a Mac. I've done quite a bit of beta testing over the years, so not new to that either. At some point, I'm considering a Fingbox as an addition to my setup, but I'd like to beta test the desktop app just the same.

VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot @GrammaK and @ChrismTCL - glad to have you onboard. Won't be long now until we let the first testers in. 
    @GrammaK would be great to have you as a Fingbox user too. Many enthusiasts here on the Fing Community! You can always start with desktop though and decide from there. 

• ChrismTCL
    ChrismTCL Member, Beta Tester Posts: 28
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes
    ✭✭

Also need to give info on my potential testing platforms. I have multiple laptops running Windows 10, Enterprise and Pro, I also have an iMac 27” running macOS but also VMs under parallels running Windows 10. With multiple monitor setups it keeps my office nice and warm in the winter.

VioletChepil
  • CarlV
    CarlV Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    I currently have 80+ FING Devices deployed throughout my enterprise.  I have 22 technicians who login to the web app and would love a Desktop app for them.  Would greatly appreciate being added to the Beta.
    HronosVioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Great @CarlV
    Just enter your email in the form here: https://www.fing.com/fing-desktop-beta-pc-mac

• Radar
    Radar CyberspaceMember, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    I'm looking forward to beta testing Fing. It would be good to see the display option of PC or mobile.
    VioletChepil
  • joltdude
    joltdude Member, Beta Tester Posts: 34
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Answer
    ✭✭
    Can see Pi based/linux server app or would that be pilfering from the pro side of Fing...  I actually moved from Fing (app) to Domotz back to Fingbox...  Fingbox finally started to fulfill most of my checkboxes.... Its moved closer to the sweet spot I had been looking for... 
    HronosVioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @joltdude thanks for this feedback. We've been asking what Linux OS people are using here!
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/1837/what-linux-os-distribution-do-you-use/

VioletChepil
  • ATSPerson
    ATSPerson Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    Second Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    All signed up. Looking forward to it.
    VioletChepil
  • Iammrbt
    Iammrbt Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic

Just got the “you’re in” email! So excited!

VioletChepilHronos
  • Sparks
    Sparks Member, Beta Tester Posts: 86
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I am ready for a Mac beta
    VioletChepil
  • Namtimmad
    Namtimmad Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Comment

-> ready for testing _

Awesome products. Congratulations on your success!

VioletChepil
  • cloudman
    cloudman Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    Looking forward to it!
    VioletChepil
  • Silva
    Silva Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    Look forward to testing the Beta on my Mac
    VioletChepil
This discussion has been closed.