Unidentified devices with IP addresses
I am new to the Fing app. My network is a Google WiFi mesh network, with 5 "hubs" (all one network/SSID though). It has found 25 devices (same as the Google WiFi app), but for most of the devices it is indicating a MAC address of "02:00:00:00:00:00". Some devices it is finding a MAC address, and some others even a manufacturer or device type. I do not have a fingbox. Any idea why it wouldn't be recognizing MAC addresses? Edit: Android 10 on Pixel XL 2. Is that why?
Hi @jjgfromnj, have a read here on Android 10 support and the fing app. I posted a snippet of this below from the link..
Will the Fing App work on Android 10?
Android 10 impact on Fing Network Scanner
Our inability to access the ARP table on Android 10, has the following impact on the free Fing network scanning app when running on an Android 10 devices:
Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...6
- MAC addresses of devices can no longer be discovered through the ARP Table.
- Device manufacturers can no longer be recognized as these come from the MAC addresses, although we will still attempt identification on a best effort basis using other network information that it is still available.
- The identification will be based on IP Addresses. Custom names and icons can still be assigned to devices, but you need to make sure your DHCP assigns the same IP address to the same device.
- The Wake on LAN feature from the device details will be disabled, but you can create a Wake on LAN local or remote profile and enter the MAC address yourself
- The quality of the Device Recognition may be decreased, though we can still identify devices from other means, including all available discovery protocols.
VioletChepil Member Posts: 2,471Thanks all, in light of some news yesterday, we're testing out a compromise for Android 10 that gets MAC addresses...
I invite you both to follow this category here: https://community.fing.com/categories/announcements
We may have something very soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Community Manager at Fing0
- 5.8K All Categories
- 2.8K Ask about Connected Technology
- How To...
- 1.1K Devices & Security
- 1.6K Network Troubleshooting & Connectivity
- 114 General Discussion, Weird & Wonderful
- 45 Network Infrastructure
- 5.4K Ask about Fing
- 548 Fing Account Change Request
- 1.1K Fing Desktop
- 1.4K Fing App
- 1.7K Fingbox
- 534 Announcements, Beta Testing & Release Notes
- 160 Community Updates
- 29 Getting started
- 13 Community User Guides