Best way to set data limits?

2»

Answers

• SoylentSoylent Member Posts: 4

For a $100 product, I'd say this should be included

kltaylor
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 2,232 admin
    Thanks @kltaylor for the feedback on this. I'm just trying to understand the sentiment around this feature and/if would be something of so much value that it could be paid for example. 

Community Manager at Fing

• tonytharptonytharp Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    This is very interesting - I definitely agree. I suggest to add as a feature request too.
    Quick question @kltaylor or @tonytharp - would this be a feature you'd considering paying a small subscription for? (I hope I didn't say the unpopular word *subscription*) 
    I'm just curious if this is something that users may like so much they would pay for it...
    Any feedback on this does help make a good business case too. 
    I guess it depends on the cost of a "subscription" and the features that would be included.  Features and device improvements are added all the time. What would cause one feature to be added on for free and another be added for a fee? What would be the decision process for this? My understanding when the Fingbox was being developed and when I ordered it, was that one of the biggest benefits was that it was not subscription based. In fact the Fing website  answers the question "Is there a subscription for Fingbox?" by saying,

"Absolutely not. There is no subscription fee for the Fingbox network security toolkit. Part of our goal when making Fingbox was to provide a home network security toolkit for homeowners that was effective as well as affordable. Every home should be able to benefit from a safe and secure network, that is why the one-off purchase of the box is all you need to use Fingbox."

Now I think everyone knows that every business model needs a steady income stream, and that is realistic. I guess the question is, what is the market value for feature add-ons and improvements?  I would possibly be open to paying a small monthly fee for this feature, but would rather be able to purchase lifetime upgrades for a discounted fee.

Thanks @tonytharp - as you know we don't have any subscription to date for Fingbox. 
    We've never had a subscription for Fingbox. But I guess some of these features have costs to us for development and also even cloud services or sometimes third party services. I don't know if that is relevant for this feature. I just wanted to get some more information in the discussion to see what thinking would be and continue the discussion. Good to know your thoughts about it. 

kltaylorMarc
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @tonytharp - as you know we don't have any subscription to date for Fingbox. 
    We've never had a subscription for Fingbox. But I guess some of these features have costs to us for development and also even cloud services or sometimes third party services. I don't know if that is relevant for this feature. I just wanted to get some more information in the discussion to see what thinking would be and continue the discussion. Good to know your thoughts about it. 
    I agree that some features that could be included with Fingbox could have an 'al la carte' approach so that those that would like to have it, can.  I also agree that the cost of said subscription should be affordable to the majority.  What's the use of having a feature if it's out of the price range for the majority?

Good information in this thread.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    MarcVioletChepil
    Thanks @kltaylor ;

• tonytharptonytharp Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November 16
    Sorry, made duplicate post by mistake
    VioletChepil
    Thanks @tonytharp I do not see it. Let me know if I need to modify/merge anything for you :)
    Cheers