Range extenders

QQGQQG Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
First Comment Photogenic

can it be that the fingbox affects the working of wifi range extenders?

is there a specific way to configure them to avoid problems?

I experience that devices stay “trying to connect” and receive an IP consisting of only zeros…

thanks!

cheers

VioletChepil

Answers

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there @QQG
    Thanks for your post and welcome to the Fing Community! 
    Fingbox does not affect any wifi extenders as extenders don't have their own network gateway but sharing the network gateway from the router.
    More details can be found here: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/will-fingbox-slow-down-my-network/

Community Manager at Fing

• QQGQQG Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic

dear Violet, thank you for your reassuring reply. I fail to see how the article you suggest to read relates to my question.

I noticed the following: devices that manage to connect to my network via the repeater are seen by the fing box as ‘online but outside my network’. they do get an ip address from my dhcp but the fingbox sees it as 0.0.0.0

is there anyway configuration that brings these devices within the scope of the fingbox?

cheers

Q

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @QQG
    Can you check if all access points are added to Fingbox network or not? You can check by verifying the bssids added in network details.
    Network - Click Network Name - Scroll to Access points 
    If not can you make sure all access points are added and then make sure location permissions are enabled.

In order to add the access point for Fingbox, first you need to be connected to the access point network which you want to add. Then open the Fing App and choose the Fingbox network from the dropdown list. Go to the ‘Network’ tab and select either Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection or Wi-Fi Performance and you will be able to add the Access point for the current network your device is connected to. You can only add the Access point either from the Wi-Fi Performance tab or Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection tab.
    After Adding the access point, you will receive the New Access point alert and you need to accept it as a trusted gateway and the access point will be added successfully.

Let me know and then I can inquire about next steps! 

Robin
    First Comment Photogenic

Dear Violet,

The MAC address of the repeater appears as first in the BSSID list. I guess this is a good sign.

Nevertheless: the way devices are listed is quite confusing. The repeater (from TP-Link) appears with the name of a laptop connected through it. If I check the details then the AMC address is not that of the laptop, but that of the repeater, which is confirmed by the MAC vendor being TP-Link. The brand and model are consistent with the repeater, but the bonjour name and the operating systems are those of the laptop…

Whenever a device is connected to the main access point (to whom the fing box is also connected) all looks fine.

When devices access via the repeater I get lots of confusing information. they are seen either as:

-          in range but out of network

-          trying to access with ip 0.0.0.0

-          or with their identity mixed with that of the repeater, as I describe above.

Is there anything that I can do to improve this?

thank you, cheers QQG

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @QQG
    We're testing out something new for correcting faulty/mis-matched device identification. Right now, this is only available on laptops, mobile phones, tablets, gaming consoles, smart TVs:
    Have a look here: https://community.fing.com/discussion/1121/improved-device-recognition-for-fingbox-users-testers-needed#latest
    You can correct/improve device details using this method.
    In the meantime, what else can you do?
    - correct all the device details manually - this will improve the algorithm - add all the device details manually you can to teach Fing App
    - follow this category here: and we'll notify you when we have expanded this beta to more devices
    https://community.fing.com/categories/announcements

Let me know if you are able to test the first method in the beta test and if that improves some devices.
    Thank you!

First Comment Photogenic
    Looking forward to help! Please count me in as beta tester.

VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok great. Did you give the above link ago to try and correct any device information? @QQG

First Comment Photogenic

well, that is kind of hard to do. It the devices in question connect to my ‘main’ access point then all are correctly identified. If the connect via the wifi repeater I do not seem to be able to do as suggested… since the fing box sees them as out of my network…

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    OK am checking any more we can help with this and will be back soon @QQG

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok @QQG I have some further steps on this.
    Can you try to remove the BSSID(access point of repeater) from the Fing app and then add again.
    Instructions how to remove BSSIDs: 
    1. Open the Fing App 
    2. Click on the Network Tab 
    3. Click on the Network Details section(This is the directly under your network name) 
    4. Scroll down and locate the Access Point Section 
    5. Press the 'X' beside each BSSID that you want to remove.  
    If you remove an entry accidentally, you will be asked to re-trust it.   
    If there is still a bad entry once a good one is trusted you can remove the invalid one. 

Once the access point is re-added, ask the user to perform a power cycle.
    1) Turn off the router/extenders and Fingbox 
    2) Wait for a minute or two. 
    3) Make the connection of Fingbox with the router directly if not done already. If you are using an extender/switch, then make the connection with it. 
    4) Only Turn on the router and then wait for another minute or Two. 
    5) Turn on the other network device like Switch/Extenders and then wait for a minute or two. 
    6) Turn on the Fingbox and then re-install the Fing App after clearing up the cache as well. 
    7) Sign in with the Fing App 

Hopefully it should refresh the settings and everything should return to normal.
    Let me know.