Fingbox version features

Hronos
Hronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
100 Likes 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Awesomes
✭✭✭✭
Hi, I am "new" in the Fingbox universe, I have my own Fingbox (I think v1) for a while, but I am sure only used it at it's very basics... So, I wanna know what else it's capable of doing.
How about a list of all the features for every Fingbox hardware version?

Keep looking up!
Tagged:

Comments

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,724
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This might help in your V1 versus V2 question... https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/fingbox-v2-faqs/
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepilHronosPooh
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Marc for passing that along. Yes, the main difference is 5GHz support. Both boxes will support all features as we're not prompting people to upgrade. 

Community Manager at Fing

• Hronos
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2019 #4
    Hi @VioletChepil,
    When I read:
    • The new look Fingbox can run on 5GHz as well as 2.4Ghz
    What does this mean, maybe it's just me, but I don't have it clear.
    I have the v1 box and I have a 5Ghz WiFi network at home (also a 2.4Ghz one), And It can track the devices connected to either one of them...
    What is it that the old one doesn't do on a 5Ghz than does on the 2.4Ghz?
    Sorry if my question is dump...

Edit:
    Never mind, I kinda start to understand the rest of the articule, I am guessing the original one, doesn't have the 5Ghz antenas to do its magic, but it can tell when a device hooks to the network because it gets "in" the network, but if a device it's only on the "neighborhood" (using only a 5Ghz beacon) the 2.4Ghz box can't alert if it get in range.  Right?
    Keep looking up!
    Gidster
  • Gidster
    Gidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    @Hronos - yes, you've got it right!
    Head of Product at Fing
    Hronos
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hronos said:
    Hi, I am "new" in the Fingbox universe, I have my own Fingbox (I think v1) for a while, but I am sure only used it at it's very basics... So, I wanna know what else it's capable of doing.
    How about a list of all the features for every Fingbox hardware version?

This might help in your V1 versus V2 question...  https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/fingbox-v2-faqs/
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I've talked through this with some colleagues and:
    - Fingbox v1 - picks up devices on the 2.4 GHz channels - however devices can and do probe both 2.4 and 5 GHz so can get picked up by v1 of course 
    - Fingbox v2 - picks up all devices on both of the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz channels regardless 
    Does this help clarify things? I'm getting more clarification too as I troubleshoot this question so this answer is evolving as I go along. 
    I hope it is clearer now. 

HronosPoohMarc
  • fedeb000
    fedeb000 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    5 Awesomes 5 Agrees 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Marc said:
    This might help in your V1 versus V2 question... https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/fingbox-v2-faqs/
    Thanks for the link.
    Question: If I have both network in my home,  5GHz and 2.4Ghz from the same router.
    Fingbox can track the devices in both networks (connected/disconected notifications, IFTTT, etc)? or only 1 and I must choose?
    Currently I have fingbox v1. and I'm thinking on buying a router with 5GHz and 2.4Ghz.

VioletChepil
  • Hronos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @VioletChepil, that's more clear now.
    - Fingbox v1 - picks up devices on the 2.4 GHz channels - however devices can and do probe both 2.4 and 5 GHz so can get picked up by v1 of course 
    So that's what I see around.  Then, for now, just an intentional "attack" only (and when I say intentional, I mean a hardware/software especially build to NOT probe the 2.4Ghz band), could be probing the 5Ghz AP/router, without us knowing.

Keep looking up!
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I guess that one is possible based on my understanding but I need to check in on how and how common that may be.  

Hronos
  • Hronos
    ✭✭✭✭
    fedeb000 said:
    Question: If I have both network in my home,  5GHz and 2.4Ghz from the same router.
    Fingbox can track the devices in both networks (connected/disconected notifications, IFTTT, etc)? or only 1 and I must choose?
    Currently I have fingbox v1. and I'm thinking on buying a router with 5GHz and 2.4Ghz.
    I have a dual band router and a Finbox v1, it tracks all the devices in my network ( connected/disconnected notifications, not sure IFTT I am going to test it soon xD )
    Keep looking up!
  • Hronos
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2019 #12
    @fedeb000
    I tested the IFTT, it works normally, triggered from a device connected in the 5Ghz network just fine (also 2.4Ghz)
    Keep looking up!
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    fedeb000 said:
    Marc said:
    Thanks for the link.

I have a tri-band linksys and so far fing seems to be detecting everything, even though I too have a V1 and have devices across 5Ghz and 2.4.
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    fedeb000 said:
    Marc said:
    Thanks for the link.

Perhaps this is a new thread. Yes, Fingbox will see both channels if you get the v2. Feel free to start a new thread on this one if possible!