IPV6

hopetindallhopetindall Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
Founder First Comment
✭✭
edited August 2019 in Fingbox feature requests
Is there any possibility that IPV6 functionality could be added to the Fingbox?
Ian_AlmightyUsagiNZprestc01GiziITMONterryrwalkerMightyBoosh1999MarcBelgarathbeanbagukMarto68
9 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• yozhyozh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
    First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I second this !
    Ian_AlmightyVioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't have plans to add IPv6 support because of our conclusions after a lengthy feasibility study. To make more clear, Fingbox does work with IPv6, its just the features of bandwidth analysis/device block/device pause which are not usable with IPv6. This is because of the ARP protocol used for these functions. We are aware that many users are requesting this, but we'd need to find new ways to implement those features. For now we recommend using a router that can have IPv6 disabled for using the device block/bandwidth analysis functionalities. I'm going to tag this one as a feature request of course by adding the tag featurerequest to the post. That way product can take a look that this being requested again too! I hope this helps.

Community Manager at Fing

• Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 271
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Question:  Since Fing is designed to work internally, why would you want to use IPv6 internally?  IPv4 gives you (in theory) a little over 4 billion IP addresses, and since you can subnet an internal LAN with any scheme you want, that should be gracious plenty. And with 2.8 trillion possible Mac addresses, just wondering.  :-)
  • BryceBryce Member Posts: 20
    10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭

I always avoid ipv6 to the internet, as everything is trackable right down to the device from external, isn't it? I know you can set up NAT internally to avoid this, like with ipv4, but does anyone bother... I am happy with Fing just doing ipv4 for now.

Regards, Bryce.

VioletChepil
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,365
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s early enough in the adoption cycle that Fing can continue to support just v4 for now, but at some point as more hosts, iot devices and home routers arrive default with ipv6 active, they will need to address this. One idea would be to offer users the choice. If there using v6, then only these Fing options are available, and if v4 you get these. In other words, grey out what v6 can’t support in the app.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just turning this one into an ideas thread so others can vote. Cast your vote if you'd like to see implemented too.

• terryrwalkerterryrwalker Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    Not sure how to vote but I vote yes to IPv6 
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @terryrwalker just click the little upvote tick at the top of thread!

• beanbagukbeanbaguk Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Answer Name Dropper
    Another one for IPv6. I'm brand new to fingbox but this issue is already causing a few issues for me and a complete rethink of my entire network. Thanks.