UPDATED: Submitting your post as a question or discussion

VioletChepil
VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 1, 2021 in Getting started #1

There are two kinds of posts you can start on the community: a Discussion or a Question. 

It’s important to think about whether your post is a discussion or a question before submitting it. 

EDIT: Admins can now change discussions to questions and vice versa. Please copy @Robin & @Dylan_From_Fing into your post if you need it changed. You can also flag other content that might need to be changed.

Questions:

If your question has a concrete solution or answer, then please submit it as a question rather than a discussion. There are benefits to submitting your post as a question. 

• Questions appear in the https://community.fing.com/discussions/unanswered unanswered queue - which means those questions that don’t yet have an answer are much easier to find. This will help ensure that you get a great response in the quickest way possible. If you love helping you can also keep an eye out on this list to identify which posts need the most help. 

• Best Answer: When you submit a question, after each response you receive you’ll automatically be asked: Did this answer the question? Yes/No - If you select Yes, the question will appear in the category and recent discussions with an ACCEPTED ANSWER label. This will let others know in the future that they can find an answer in the thread. 

Discussions

• Submit your topics as discussions if you are looking for different views/ideas/feedback but do not need an answer to solve your problem. Discussions are more open ended, but the topics you submit do not need a concrete resolution. 

• Discussions appear in the “Recent Discussions” queue: https://community.fing.com/discussions  

I hope this clarifies the importance of choosing whether to submit your post as a discussion or question. Let me know if you have any questions or comments below. 

Admins

Community Manager at Fing

Tagged:
VioletChepil

Comments

• Troydetroit
    Troydetroit Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    How can you remove a device on your WiFi and block it?
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Troydetroit best to ask this as a new question as per the above instructions and put it in the Devices and Security category here. https://community.fing.com/categories/devices That way we can get people to help answer the best methods for doing this. Of course you can also do this with Fingbox, but eager to here all the ways too. 

• Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil does the community software allow y'all to change Discussions to Questions, or is it the case of, once submitted, forever be?
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Pooh unfortunately no. :( which is why I'm pushing this one a bit! It's nice to know if the thread (question) has been answered and marked as solved so to speak. Also really good answer are marked BEST ANSWERS and appear at the top of the thread. 

• Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda thought that, @VioletChepil, however a bear can dream, right?

There is one issue I have with the 'Best Answer' being placed at the top, if that answer is based on other replies further down, it can look out of place. Have you thought about other UI cues to make it clear (like, oh, I don't know, a border of red balloons and honey pots?)
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2019 #7
    @Pooh Admins can now change discussions to questions and vice versa! I've edited the post above to reflect. 
    EDIT: Admins can now change discussions to questions and vice versa. Please copy @VioletChepil into your post if you need it changed. You can also flag other content that might need to be changed.

• Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭