Add Fingbox by IP Address

vicorlyvicorly Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
First Comment Photogenic
Hello, I have a client where the ethernet at WiFi networks are separate subnet ranges. Since hte Fingbox is on Ethernet, I can't add it through my iPhone on WiFi. How do I add it by IP? I can see it from my laptop....

Answers

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @vicorly
    Fingbox doesn't currently support multiple subnets or VLANs and so the box would need to be on same subnet (plugged to main router or access point). Are you able to try with this configuration? 

Community Manager at Fing

• vicorlyvicorly Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    First Comment Photogenic

Not really. Ethernet where the Fingbox lives is 10.0.25 x and my phone is WiFi 10.0.30.x. I did assign the Fingbox an IP by it’s Mac Address at 10.0.25.4 though.

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,785
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @vicorly
    To add Fingbox, your mobile device needs to be connected to the same subnet as Fingbox. In order to make the first connection of Fingbox, it needs to be connected directly to the router. If you have multiple devices plugged into the router, then you can use a switch and free one of the ports for Fingbox by connecting those devices to a switch which connects back to the router. 

To assist with setting up your Fingbox set up, under App Settings, please make the following 2 changes: 

1. Disable Reverse DNS Lookup 

2. Change the Maximum network size to match your network size. 

To do this: 

• Open the Fing app, ensure that you are on the Network associated with your Fingbox 

• Tap on the Avatar icon in the top-right corner 

• Choose 'App Settings' 

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house. 

These changes should help with the issues in scanning. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • vicorlyvicorly Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    First Comment Photogenic
    So why can't you configure it by website? 
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @vicorly
    We don't have any other onboarding of Fingbox available such as by web browser.
    This new tool is for improving device information for certain devices (phones, tablets, laptops, gaming consoles) - it's in beta testing mode.
    You can join that test here: https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/6304
    But it's not currently for on boarding new Fingboxes.
    You can submit that feature request here if you like: https://community.fing.com/categories/fingbox-feature-requests

Community Manager at Fing