need help with fingbox randomly shutting off

fingboxuser89fingboxuser89 Member Posts: 9
First Comment Photogenic
edited October 2019 in Fingbox
So i have a fingbox and it is plugged in an set up. but after like maybe 10mins or so it completely shuts off and does not respond. so i have to go an move it around some.( i think there is a power short on the inside) Then i will see the lights light back up and it starts again? is  there anything i can do? does this fall under the warranty?
VioletChepil

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,135
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @fingboxuser89, you will probably need to open a support incident and @VioletChepil should be able to get you next steps you when she comes back on line in the morning UK time.  
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @fingboxuser89
    - have you tried another power cable to see if it solves the issue? 
    - when was the device purchased and is it within the 2 year warranty?
    Can you complete all of the following steps and report back too me? Then after, I can open you a ticket if needed too! 
    1. Try a an alternative ethernet cable (CAT 6) - to identify if the issue may be with the ethernet cable (to note: if you have a CAT 7 this should also work, however, CAT 7 cables can be expensive so please do not purchase one solely for this purpose)
    2. Try an alternative 5V power core cable - to identify if the issue may be with the power cable
    3. Power source: Is the Fingbox plugged into a power strip/extender or directly in the wall? Some users have reported issues whereby the power extenders was causing issues supplying enough power for the Fingbox (perhaps an issue with the power extender). Please plug the power cable directly into the wall to test.
    4. Is the Fingbox connected directly to the router? If it is not connected to the router where is it connected?
    5. Ports: Are all ports required for Fingbox to work open or if UPNP is enabled?
    Ports required:
    • 80 (Internet Speed Test)
    • 443 (Fing Service and Software Updates)
    • 3001, 3002, 3003 (Internet Speed Test)
    • 4443 (Fing Service)
    • 5671 (Fing Diagnostics)
    If the issue persists after all these steps, let me know. And I'll start a new process.

Community Manager at Fing

• fingboxuser89fingboxuser89 Member Posts: 9
    First Comment Photogenic
    Yeah, i think it is the power port connection on the inside/back of the fingbox device.
    1. i tried different cables
    2. tried different power cord
    3. the power source is on a battery backup + i tried directly to the wall
    4. it is connected to the switch right after the router, since i didn't have enough ports so i used a 1g 16port switch
    5. i ensured all ports are open on the linksys 3200 router. but did not have any issues with the ports when it work before.

VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok thanks @fingboxuser89 - this could be caused by the switch. We do not recommend plugging Fingbox to the switch. Could you swap out another device and plug to the router or main access point directly? We advise all Fingbox to be plugged into main router or access point and switches have been known to cause issues for other users. Let me know if you are able to try this. 

Community Manager at Fing