unrecognized device

amazaniaamazania Member Posts: 1

Hello everyone! I have a device showing up on my router that I do not recognize. It says that it's a smart device called espressif. There is a picture of a cloud going to a house? Does anyone know what this is?

VioletChepilkltaylor

Answers

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKAdministrator Posts: 2,232 admin
    Can you get anymore details from the Device lookup tool we have?
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/841/our-new-tool-for-mac-vendor-lookup#latest

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylor
  • PoohPooh Member Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23
    espressif is a Chinese Bluetooth\WiFi SoC manufacturer - its products are found in varied SmartThings (IoT) including Security Systems.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepilkltaylorHronos
    Thanks for that helpful information @Pooh

kltaylorHronos
  • pcarney53pcarney53 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 29
    In my case, by process of elimination, I was able to identify my espressif device as the bluetooth controller to Blink cameras.  It's one specific example of "varied SmartThings (IoT) including Security Systems" in @Pooh answer of 23 October.  In your case, it could be something else similar.  
    VioletChepilkltaylorHronos
    Thanks @pcarney53 ;

• SoylentSoylent Member Posts: 4

@VioletChepil Do you guys have a method for reporting incorrectly identified devices? For example my "smart" water heater shows up as an iRobot Roomba robot cleaner 😅.

OKC
  • OKCOKC Member Posts: 8
    @Soylent I have a Bully Dog programmer that connects to wifi, downloads a Tune from a tuner, which I take to my truck, plug into the OBD2, flashes the PCM and changes the strategies for variable Valve Timing, fuel injection, etc. Fing recognizes it as a Texas Device / Texas instruments / Ring Doorbell. 
    Hi @Soylent and @OKC
    If you have Fingbox we're working on a kind of manual device recognition to help improve this. 
    Here is an example: https://community.fing.com/discussion/1121/improved-device-recognition-for-fingbox-users-testers-needed 
    You could try that out if you have Fingbox.
    This beta should be coming to more devices and then eventually Fing App.
    In the meantime, just enter as many details about the device as you can - to improve the algorithms. (Though this does take a long time and user input for less common devices). 

• OKCOKC Member Posts: 8
    Violet. I noticed this "Right now, this is only available for: mobile phones, laptops, desktops, tablets, smart TVs and media players." The programmer I have is used to access the cloud to receive the 'Tune' from the Tuner. It also updates firmware etc. I am not sure there is a way to use it in this application but I will look into it.

VioletChepilHronos
    Ok @OKC thanks for the feedback. It may not be available on your device yet. But we are hoping to add more devices soon.

OKC
  • HronosHronos Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    @OKC, your device, as per this specific "beta test" need to have a browser or browser like service to go into the address specify... is only HTTP(s) so maybe it could...
    Keep looking up!
    OKCVioletChepil