Another Breach: This time VPN supplier NordVPN

PoohPooh Member Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looks like a rented Datacenter in Finland was breached way back in March 2018, so y'all should assume that some of your data was made off with.

What will be interesting is if any log files were found.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/21/nordvpn-confirms-it-was-hacked/
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
kltaylorMarcVioletChepilCiaranRobin

Comments

• kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luckily I only participated in their free trial, and didn't supply to them my info.  Thanks for posting this!
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    PoohMarcVioletChepil
  • MarcMarc Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “We protect your privacy on line”, until we don’t....  :/
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    PoohkltaylorVioletChepil
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL... YES!
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    MarcVioletChepil
  • pwmeekpwmeek Member Posts: 69 ✭✭✭
    I've liked this service:
    https://haveibeenpwned.com/
    They monitor all the published breaches where email addresses have been compromised, and will tell you if an email address that you supply was found in those breaches. They hash the emails from the breaches and compare your hashed email to do the comparison, so the breached emails aren't broadcast all over again. You do have to set up an alert for each email you want checked (and set to alert on new breaches) so it's a bit of work. (NordVPN did not seem to be in their database; perhaps NordVPN never released the information to any reporting organization, or maybe it is under a different name.)

I found I had been pwned in several breaches, but fortunately they were all from accounts that were closed or have had all critical information changed since the breach.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    VioletChepilMarckltaylor
  • PoohPooh Member Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pwmeek indeed, in fact I have them set up to alert me whenever any account in the domain I use for email aliases has been pwned. Doesn’t happen often, but when it does it makes it easy to update the alias to a new one and carry on.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepilkltaylor
  • MarcMarc Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for this @pwmeek. I just subscribed, really good stuff.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    kltaylorVioletChepil
  • MIBSWEMIBSWE Member Posts: 7
    As I understand NordVPN do not hold logs on any account. So, you should be okay. The best VPNs state that they don't hold logs. Th eother thing to look out for, is who really owns the VPN provider? If it's a foreign country that has very lax or no protection laws on data, then you know what happens. Apparently, there are lots of VPNs owned by Chinese companies.
    VioletChepil