Is this normal information for an HP Officejet Pro Printer

Linuxbox1Linuxbox1 Member Posts: 20
10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭

I have noticed the names of my devices have changed from time to time. I may be paranoid but I think I've had some issues with nefarious peoples lately. Anyways, devices will change names and mimic other devices on my network... So the ring pro will ask if a sudden have it's man address changed by one degree in the last field and it's name changed to something similar to another device. I need to get screenshots of this actually happening so for now take my word please. Also I'm not sure if I need netbios enabled or not but I imagine not. So attached is a screenshot of the info on my printer. I'm wondering if anyone can tell be if this is normal or something to worry about. Thank you in advance and I'm here if anyone needs further info or has questions.

KoalaTeaTime

Best Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,228
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    ...which is right here in the same topic.
    Typically the names of devices will not change unless there's a firmware update where one of the changes would be the name of the device, however that's incredibly rare.  Manufacturers will not randomly change the name of a printer or any network-enabled device as it would cause an eruption from us net admins who have to set them up in the print queue, etc.
    Are you sure that the name is changing?  Is the device on your network?  
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @KoalaTeaTime
    Do you have a Fingbox? 
    The naming mismatch is from the Fing algorithms but we're working on something to improve this. So you can correct mis matched devices. Right now, it's only available for Fingbox users on certain devices: mobiles, tablets, laptops, gaming consoles. More details here:
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/1121/improved-device-recognition-for-fingbox-users-testers-needed
    If you follow the beta testing category, you'll get informed by email notification when other beta tests may be available:
    https://community.fing.com/categories/announcements

Community Manager at Fing

Linuxbox1kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    It would be obvious to me that, since you're questioning the naming convention of the doorbell, that you're not the one that named it.  My next question to that respect is, would anyone in your household know how to access, or has access to the admin features of said equipment?
    If this were me, I'd actively start revising the connected devices and make changes to ensure that I was the only one with access to those.  Sounds like someone is possibly having fun at your expense.
    Linuxbox1

Answers

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @KoalaTeaTime
    I am having someone look into this further and we'll update you soon with possible cause information! 

kltaylorLinuxbox1
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,659
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @KoalaTeaTime
    Can you tell me if the changing of the MAC address is happening for only one device or multiple devices and are they the same devices every time? Can you please let me know of those devices names as well? If the MAC address is same as to your device and only a digit is changed then It might be the same device that has the ability to use MAC randomization which means it can change the device own MAC address. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    kltaylorLinuxbox1
  • Linuxbox1Linuxbox1 Member Posts: 20
    ✭✭

It is more than one device... The Mac and the names values change... Typically the name changes to something similar to the original name but sometimes it changes the name completely to a different device and then followed by the last 2 if the Mac address. My ring pro and my floodlight pro... The floodlight is now named "homeboy"....

I'm also noticing that a bssid from around my residence is being flagged by the fingbox as broadcasting my ssid and is said to be rogue. I've tried to track it down via proximity scanners and kismet running on a Chromebook but no luck. I'm about to go door to door dressed as att and find them for wild West Justice. Unless I'm just paranoid but I think somebody is messing with me. Thank you. I'll grab more screen shots for you. I know my 5268ac is not to ideal as far as compatibility with the fing box.

kltaylor
    ✭✭

Thank you. I'm getting a new router from att soon. Thank you

kltaylor
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,659
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @KoalaTeaTime for information.
    You can definitely try to upgrade your router. I believe the unknown bssid detected can be from your router broadcasting from different frequencies.  For rogue access points, I would like to tell you that sometimes, it can be a false alarm as well. To make sure, Once Fingbox identifies a Rogue Access Point you should take immediate action:  
    • Turn off your WiFi network equipment for 15 minutes and wait. Make sure to turn off or disable WiFi from all client devices (like e.g. mobile phones, laptops, etc). Then restart networking and see if the Rogue Access Point still appears. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    kltaylorLinuxbox1
    ✭✭

I appreciate the steps to protect my network and devices as well as data. Thank you very much. I still wanted some info on whether or not the pics in the original post regarding my printer information looks normal or seems abnormal. Can you advise please? Furthermore, I'm attaching a pic with the info on the fingbox itself and was wondering if all looks normal there as well... Please advise. Thank you again for your timely responses!

kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the information from your screen shot looks quite normal.
    I'm on my way to take another look at your other question about your printer and see if I can offer any assistance there.
    Linuxbox1
    ✭✭

The printer isn't changing names I was just curious as to why it's a file server as well and if that was normal. I've heard of printers getting hacked and acting as a file server and exporting data for the hackers. That's all. I'm paranoid by nature. I appreciate your time... I'm most concerned with why my ring device is now named "homeboy" in the field value in the right side of the fing app interface. And the name had changed to ("device" -BA ) where BA is the last of the Mac values. Other devices outside of ring had followed the same nomenclature rules so I thought it may be fing and their naming convention, hence the question. Thanks again!

kltaylor
    ✭✭

192.168.1.77 - value in the right hand side says "homeboy" ...what's this? Lol

kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like RingPRO do you have a Ring Pro smart doorbell?

kltaylor
    ✭✭

Yes I have a fingbox. Is there a new one that handles 5 and not just 2.4? Thank you for your time and dedication in finding an answer for myself and others. One more thing... Lastly, why would there be values for Bonjour name and netbios name if netbios is disabled on devices and the router and there are no apple devices on the network? Thanks so much?

✭✭

Yes I have a fingbox. Is there a new one that handles 5 and not just 2.4? Thank youLastly, why would there be values for Bonjour name and netbios name if netbios is disabled on devices and the router and there are no apple devices on the network? And how does the ring device get renamed to "homeboy?"

Thanks so much?