Use router APIs on Android 10 devices

Android 10 blocked the retrieval of MAC addresses (among other things) for apps. This is an obvious security feature, and while I disagree with the block (a user request similar to location permissions would be the way to go), there needs to be a workaround.

And the thing is, there is one. Most routers nowadays come with open local APIs to retrieve currently connected devices and some of their metadata (IP and MAC addresses, device name, connection time, just to mention a few). While I understand that this is not a 5 minute feature, adding a few major manufacturers (Asus, Netgear, Xiaomi, D-Link) should be relatively quick, and a great way to replace the native Android API.

0 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion. We also have PC/MAC versions of Fing App coming soon as a priority to help mitigate some of the issues caused by blocking access to the ARP table. I'm not sure how feasible this suggestion is and will see if any thought has been given to this idea by the dev team with @Carlo_from_Fing

Community Manager at Fing

• Carlo_from_FingCarlo_from_Fing Rome, ItalyAdministrator, Fing Team Posts: 247
    100 Likes 100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @fonix232.
    Do you have any link to these open API's, we'll be glad to brainstorm about this!

Carlo from Fing

• fonix232fonix232 Member Posts: 6
    5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    @Carlo_from_Fing I'd recommend looking at HomeAssistant's presence detection list. While it does not contain only router APIs, nor does it contain all routers that can do this, it's a good starting point for both overview and implementation.
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @fonix232, this looks more than interesting. We are going to have a very careful look at this material.

We are currently very focused on building the first version of Fing Desktop that will be in beta very soon. This is part of the discussion: although not on a mobile device, this is going to bring the network discovery back to any Apple or Windows laptop or desktop... with the amazing quality of results, 100% exact and with a recognition level like the Fingbox. We are already in love with this and cannot wait to get your feedback.

Carlo from Fing

@Carlo_from_Fing sounds good! Any chance you'll delegate the recognition tasks to a service that can be ran on headless devices as well? I've been waiting since the release of Fingbox for an alternative, software solution I could add to my home server.
    ✭✭✭
    The recognition as a service is available as a B2B paid service. https://fing.com/business
    As you can read in the success stories at bottom of the page, Fing recognition is currently by use in several top brands.

Carlo from Fing

It's for home use, though, on a single network, with maybe up to 40-50 devices in total (lots of smarthome devices, bunch of phones and laptops, and that's it).
    ✭✭✭
    We are evaluating to add a free tier at some point. For now, the recognition is available free in the Fing products.
    Thanks again for the very useful heads up about router API's, we will keep you posted about feasibility study.
    And please make sure to sign in for Fing Desktop beta testing, coming very soon!!

Carlo from Fing