Intrusion detection details

benhelpsbenhelps Member, Beta Tester Posts: 29
10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
✭✭
edited August 2019 in Fingbox feature requests

Hi,

I love my fingbox and have motivated a colleague to get one, but I've always been hesitant to sell them on it's IDS capability as I couldn't see any detail of what it was doing, to be able to trust its statement that all was well.

Is there anywhere to get detail on what's going on there, findings, etc?

VioletChepilbenhelpsadam
2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• adamadam Member, Beta Tester Posts: 63
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I agree, I would love to know all the juicy details on this.      Right now its a near non selling point I think as its just not telling you anything it did.   Right now on mine for example it reports "Protecting 3 access points".   What are they?  I have more than 3 wifi access points actually, so the fact that it has found only 3 is curious as there are 4!   

And then what about the details, I have never seen the app alert me as to anything found, either in this details screen or as a mobile phone notification/alert within the app that appears on all pages.   I assume because it doesn't have this functionality right now.    This is the kind of thing I would expect some kind of protection system to do though; ie keep you informed about what it's doing by providing some evidence.

BryceSteen_dBThinkFing
  • SpeedfSpeedf Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Agree.  Any more details on what this actually does?
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes definitely we have some more details. 

Fingbox tracks devices even before they get a valid network address in your network, making our Wireless Intrusion Protection feature fast to spot potential malicious behavior on your network.

Fingbox will alert you about these attacks if they occur on any of your access points.

• New BSSID with same SSID not in discovery state
    • Evil Twin/Rogue Access Point & Man in the Middle Attacks
    • Deauth Attacks & WiFi Jamming
    • New Gateway Not in Discovery State
    We could do more alerting/information on the proactive actions the device is taking and that is something to think about. 

Community Manager at Fing

benhelpsSteen_dBThinkFing
  • benhelpsbenhelps Member, Beta Tester Posts: 29
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Ah, so no more details available of a specific scan of packets on a specific network/device?

• JoeJoe Member, Beta Tester Posts: 53
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Answer Founder
    ✭✭✭
    Fing says I have intrusion protection on one access point. However, the network access point in my device list is showing as one of my WiFi access points - a devolo WiFi 500. My main router and a second Asus WiFi access point don’t show at all. Can I force fing to recognise them as such?
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Joe yes, just connect to those points and run a scan. This will teach Fing App to merge those Access points! 

✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil, what sort of scan? A port scan from the fing box?
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a regular Fing scan @Joe should do the trick. Let me know how it goes. 

✭✭✭
    No, it still registers only one access point @Violet
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just turning this one into an ideas thread so others can vote. Cast your vote if you'd like to see implemented too.