Improved Device Recognition for Fingbox users – Testers Needed!

Comments

• Carlo_from_FingCarlo_from_Fing Rome, ItalyAdministrator, Fing Team Posts: 247
    100 Likes 100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    @marc opening the page is enough. after it shows logo and writing you can close.
    The 'couple minutes needed' is for your fingbox to process and send for enrichment and update your device list.
    The underlying technology is that we are leveraging HTTP User Agent of your devices' browsers to try and enrich the recognitions. We developed this fingerprinting for our partners that are running inside routers, but since Fingbox is just an endpoint, it can benefit only with this kind of 'manual' methods.

Carlo from Fing

MarcpwmeekVioletChepilHronos
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,791
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @marc opening the page is enough. after it shows logo and writing you can close.
    The 'couple minutes needed' is for your fingbox to process and send for enrichment and update your device list.
    The underlying technology is that we are leveraging HTTP User Agent of your devices' browsers to try and enrich the recognitions. We developed this fingerprinting for our partners that are running inside routers, but since Fingbox is just an endpoint, it can benefit only with this kind of 'manual' methods.
    Thanks for the clarification Carlo, using the agent does makes sense.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepilkltaylor
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @UsagiNZ we're hoping that more devices are coming soon and I'll keep everyone posted on any update. 

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylor
  • joltdudejoltdude Member, Beta Tester Posts: 30
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer
    ✭✭
    Thanks @joltdude! What a feedback.
    Please can you clarify 'Amazon devices flipped to being the requisite ereader' ?
    Do you mean that ereaders are not recognized? Those are the worst, the older the tougher. 
    Actually the reverse... Some devices that were basically Generic Amazon turned to being listed as an Ereader... At some point id like to pull out my barnes and noble nooks (earlier android based tablets) and also a few of the eink based devices and see what they can do.. if i can get them to open a browser.. (the color/lcd/tablet nooks have a browser... its a little tricker with nooks because similar to the Kindles, there is an unsupported browser thats used for hotspots but is not as intuitive or straightforward to get into)
    I do have some strange devices on my network.. I dont think your detection mechanism works with the chumby's browser .. the page loads but not the picture. Didnt really expect it to at this point..  
    -
    Carlo_from_FingVioletChepilkltaylor
  • seh2000seh2000 IrelandMember, Beta Tester Posts: 62
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited October 2019

VioletChepilkltaylor
  • JohnJohn Member Posts: 108
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Not noticed any improvements yet, however would be good to have a status bar in the setup page for this to know the progress.... :)
    VioletChepilkltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @seh2000 I see your point. Would you like me to delete that comment for you. I'm exploring with @Ciaran and @Robin now how to get both thread feedback and also specific feedback submitted. For now, I'm going to delete your comment and you could send to them in the usual way if that is OK with you? 

kltaylorseh2000
  • marco_from_fingmarco_from_fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @seh2000 you can use the option in the app that masks the HW address, before sharing it in public. That hides the last three blocks of the MAC address, making it useless in terms of pinpointing a specific device. Regarding the IP address, that is usually locally administered and valid only within your Local Area Network, and is not globally unique.
    VioletChepilkltaylorHronosseh2000
  • seh2000seh2000 IrelandMember, Beta Tester Posts: 62
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Hi Violet and Marco,
    Thanks for your comments :)
    Yes you are right Marco, but I assumed the whole MAC address was needed for the product to be identified correctly.
    So if it ok to mask the address I will do and resubmit.
    Let me know :)

Cheers Steen

kltaylorVioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @seh2000 we'll await your updated screenshot here then :) 

kltaylor
  • mozarellamozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 111
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Actually i thought already that the "new data" will be generated over the browsers info. Maybe it'll be possible to print out that informations at the site which will appear after surfing to fingbox's IP? I've tested with two devices, one of them is a lenovo thinkpad (LAN connected) which is listed as "Quanta" (before and after connecting to fingbox's IP) and an e-reader from Tolino (i think it's german brand) which has running Android. That's listed as "CyberTAN technology" (Wifi-MAC). Ah and a DELL notebook (Latitude sth) which is connected over Wifi is mentioned as "Intel".
    Let me "connect" this to another wish of mine, "merg multiple MAC-addresses to one device". The both notebooks (DELL and Lenovo) when they are connected the opposite way (DELL over cable, Lenovo over Wifi), they are named correctly. Maybe it'll be possible to merge that? So fing could "guess" which brand and maybe model this device is by merging all the infos together. So fing could also tell "wifi-MAC: xxxx" and "LAN-MAC: yyyy".
    Carlo_from_Fingkltaylor
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for feedback @mozarella , we will keep everything into consideration.
    Wrt merging multiple adapters/interfaces of same device, this is not a new item we'd love to cover in the future, but it's heavily impacting how we model devices.
    Fing Desktop will help going in this direction, as installing it on the laptops/desktops will allow it to understand that a device has multiple interfaces. Not sure when we'll be able to plan such a feature, but definitely relevant.

Carlo from Fing

mozarellakltaylorVioletChepil
  • MattmanMattman Member, Beta Tester Posts: 26
    25 Likes 10 Comments Founder Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I ran this on two devices.
    My 12.9" 2018 iPad Pro which is identified as an iPad running macOS 10.15 (should be iPadOS 13.1.3)
    My iPhone 11 Pro Max which is correctly identified as an iPad running iOS 13.1.3.

I like the new feature!
    Thanks for implementing it.
    Carlo_from_FingVioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot @Mattman for testing and great to hear your feedback. 

Mattman
  • HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have used this tool on 2 of my devices:
    • Samsung Galaxy S7edge, running Android Oreo, the difference between then and now, was details, I mean, the device was correctly identified as a Samsung Galaxy S7 by the FingBox on connect but, the Android version, the type of S7 ("edge"), it's nice to know.
    • A Motorolla G7 Plus, in this case there wasn't any change, but I am pretty sure is because that's my principal device hehehe, so the App is running on it.
    Gradually I am going to test other devices, to see the changes. =D
    Keep looking up!
    Carlo_from_FingVioletChepil
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Hronos!
    Also with the Fing Desktop, coming soon, you're going to have same feature with a QR code to quickly use it from smartphones and tablets!

Carlo from Fing

VioletChepilHronos
  • Mitch_from_fingMitch_from_fing Fing Team Posts: 3
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    Mattman said:
    My 12.9" 2018 iPad Pro which is identified as an iPad running macOS 10.15 (should be iPadOS 13.1.3)
    My iPhone 11 Pro Max which is correctly identified as an iPad running iOS 13.1.3.

I like the new feature!
    Hi @Mattman thank you for your tests, they are all very helpful for us to continuously improve our recognition.
    The iPad Pro test is very weird case, and I would like to further investigate the problem with your help. Can you please provide me in a private message your fingbox mac address?
    Thank you.
    VioletChepilCarlo_from_FingMattman
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mitch_at_fing, I can verify the same MacOS 10.15 displayed behavior on my iPad Pro, 9.7.  This is even after I ran the recognition.  I am running 13.2...

VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @marc if you don't mind DMing @Mitch_at_fing to help with this one too! 

Hi @Marc please send me your fingbox mac address too, so I can deep dive into this issue.
    Thanks!
    Carlo_from_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitch_from_fingVioletChepil
    ✭✭✭
    Mattman said:

I like the new feature!
    Hi @Mattman thank you for your tests, they are all very helpful for us to continuously improve our recognition.
    The iPad Pro test is very weird case, and I would like to further investigate the problem with your help. Can you please provide me in a private message your fingbox mac address?
    Thank you.
    I just sent it.
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭
    Just as a side note, I just tested this on my Mac mini and it correctly identified it as a Mac Mini (Late 2014).
    Carlo_from_Fing
    ✭✭✭
    @Mattman your input was precious to us to improve and fix some case. And also another one is a well known bug of Safari...
    I'll let @Mitch_at_fing give you the details, but thank you very much for your precious help!

Carlo from Fing

MattmanHronos
    Hi @Mattman and @Marc, thank you again both for your precious help! 
    I investigated in deep the issue starting from your fingbox mac addresses and both of your devices, using Safari browser, return the following HTTP User-Agent:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/13.0.1 Safari/605.1.15
    Note that it says "Macintosh" and O.S. is "Mac OS X 10.15".
    By Googling I've found that this is a sort of bug from Apple developers, that didn't change the User-Agent for Safari on new iPad Pro devices, leaving the Mac User-Agent and this results for us in a misrecognition for the Operating System (not for the entire device since we use more accurate algorithms by exploiting different network protocols).
    We'll work to make sure this kind of misrecognition won't happen in the future.
    Thanks again both and keep up the good work guys!
    Mitch from Fing
    MarcMattmanHronos
  • JasonSweattJasonSweatt Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    I got the invite for the desktop beta testers after clicking the link I get permission issue

Thanks Jason
  • AndreaAndrea Member, Beta Tester Posts: 43
    25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    did are already logged on the forum ? try a different browser or try to clear cache
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @JasonSweatt - it's likely because we needed your forum account enabled before we can give you access. It's a kind of special permissioning on the category. I'll process now for you, if you can try again in a few minutes. 

• JasonSweattJasonSweatt Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    @VioletChepil Thanks I am in.
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    awesome @JasonSweatt!!! Great to have you onboard.