Improved Device Recognition for Fingbox users – Testers Needed!

VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in Beta Testing

Hello all, 

You may have seen in the latest Fingbox agent update, a reference to improved device recognition

We’re excited to share that we have a way of improved device recognition for all Fingbox users to test out on mobile phones, laptops, desktops, tablets, smart TVs and media players.

Despite numerous obstacles (such as iOS MAC address restrictions and more recently Android 10 limitations) we are committed to providing the best device recognition possible. 

That’s why we have a new functionality in the alpha/beta testing phase, which aims to do just that. We’d love our Fingbox users to test it out and share your feedback.  

How to test out improved device recognition. 

1. Choose a device which you’d like to improve device recognition on or a previously mis-matched device. Right now, this is only available for: mobile phones, laptops, desktops, tablets, smart TVs and media players.

2. Open a browser on the device  

3. Open the Fing App on your mobile device 

4. Look for your Fingbox and make a note of its IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.100).  

5. Type the same IP address on the browser (that you previously opened)  & click enter (include http:// before the IP address)

6. The following text will be displayed: ‘Your device is being recognized, thank you!’ and that’s it. (see image below)  

7. Go back to your Fing App and check your device list. You should then see improve recognition results. The new device information (MAC address, O.S version, Vendor) will be linked to your Fing account automatically. 

If a device you have tested is still misidentified, then please let us know in the comments below. Please add screenshots of your device/browser too. If you see the improvement, feel free to let us know in the comments below. We want to collect as much feedback as we can for this new feature. 

Cheers,

Violet

Community Manager at Fing

PoohCarlo_from_FingVioletChepilHronosRobinLinuxbox1MattmanCrazycat4360

Comments

• PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Woot! Something to play with tonight!

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    Carlo_from_FingVioletChepilLinuxbox1
  • pwmeekpwmeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 136
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'd better connect my V2 Fingbox, even if I don't have any network set up in this tiny 800 sq ft apartment. I can connect it to one of the ethernet ports on the cable modem. I'll "identify" our two iPhones, two iMacs and two iPads.

I'll try to figure out how to check our cable box. it probably has some kind of web browser, but i haven't looked for it yet. Can I use the Fingbox IP address found via some other device? I doubt that I will be able to install the Fing App on the cable box.

I also have an Amazon Firestick, but I've never used it. I'll investigate that as well.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    VioletChepilLinuxbox1
  • KarendarKarendar Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
    Photogenic 5 Likes First Comment

Testing it out on my mac randomized pixel 3 XL... URL works on the device, just properly identified it! Sweet

VioletChepilCarlo_from_FingMitch_from_fingLinuxbox1
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing to hear @Karendar !!!

• Anilv26Anilv26 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment

I am not sure as I saw the page with message.

But all of my devices were already perfectly identified.

Or am I missing something ☺️

Avaya voice consultant by profession

There is never a wrong or stupid question!

VioletChepil
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,791
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting set of initial devices.  But thinking out load, i.e. how many media players have browsers?  Also, the types of devices mentioned are generally well represented in Fing to begin with (or at least in my use of it).  Still fun to test this... ;)
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I tried it on the iPad Pro ...  It's one of those devices that always shows up in the Fing App as not in network and Shows up with no IP address even though it clearly has one and and is on line. (As I've been told, it is because its on the range extender, not the main router and I can't control that).  Anyway, after I ran the web thing, no change in its state, IP address recognition or any other discovered item on the iPad.  

Carlo_from_FingMitch_from_fingVioletChepil
  • Carlo_from_FingCarlo_from_Fing Rome, ItalyAdministrator, Fing Team Posts: 247
    100 Likes 100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for testing guys!
    When devices are already recognised good, the recognition will strongly improve wrt model and OS.
    @Marc most probably before you did this, you just got iPad or iPad Pro. Now you get iPad Pro (9.7")
    Re 'Other devices with browsers like media players': you can try on Amazon Fire TV for example, from its browser. You can try from ebook readers with kindle. We tested also on several smart TV's and then less known media players like Minix.
    I'm not sure if we can try the Chromecast as well, as if I'm not wrong when you cast, it just shows you screen, it doesnt come with a browser or interface of its own.

Carlo from Fing

Mitch_from_fingVioletChepilMarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Anilv26 - so you should go on a web browser of individual devices and maybe test out if the information improves. For example; what @Carlo_from_Fing stated above. You can get better device information: "Instead of iPad or iPad Pro. Now you get iPad Pro (9.7")" 
    If you test this by visiting the web browser of individual devices you should get better information! Let us know how you get on. Cheers

Anilv26
  • mozarellamozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 111
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Violet,
    sorry for asking, but i don't really understand the new technic in recognizing devices through the new feature. Do i need to connect to fingbox through webbrowser once per network or once per device? And what should be different? I've tried a bit. First i thought, the feature is used once for network. So i went to fingbox's index-site (fingbox-ip) over VPN from outside the network. I didn't notice any changes. So i've done that from my imac any mins ago and i also used wget from commandline over ssh from raspberry pi running kodi (media-center). Also there i didn't notice any changes yet.
    I understood that i need to go to fingbox's port 80 via browser to get the message in the screenshot you have set to forum. Then sth will happen. Will it happen through browser or remotly from fingbox? And why fingbox didn't do that itself already?
    How to do this with devices without browser, because they are routers or NAS-systems?
    What should happen / be changed when i've applied that service?
    mozarella

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @mozarella
    Connecting to devices
    You should connect to Fingbox - one time per device. After connecting, you should be able to get more device details - or some users have devices which are incorrectly identified and this may fix it. You can get better device information: "Instead of iPad or iPad Pro. Now you get iPad Pro (9.7")"
    Devices without web browsers:
    As for NAS etc. right now this is only beta for the following device types: mobile phones, laptops, desktops, tablets, smart TVs and media players. So we're only testing for devices that have a browser!
    Hopefully that clears things up @mozarella
    Let me know

mozarella
  • mozarellamozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 111
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for explaining.
    mozarella
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for testing guys!
    When devices are already recognised good, the recognition will strongly improve wrt model and OS.
    @Marc most probably before you did this, you just got iPad or iPad Pro. Now you get iPad Pro (9.7")
    Re 'Other devices with browsers like media players': you can try on Amazon Fire TV for example, from its browser. You can try from ebook readers with kindle. We tested also on several smart TV's and then less known media players like Minix.
    I'm not sure if we can try the Chromecast as well, as if I'm not wrong when you cast, it just shows you screen, it doesnt come with a browser or interface of its own.
    Actually, what you see after the scan was exactly what was seen before.  No change and I was hoping it would have finally pulled the IP address.  Note I left the browser open for a good 10 minutes and had the network discovery set on both aggressive and not aggressive to see if there was a difference. I also ran it on an Amazon Echo Show as it now has Firefox built in.   No changes in that as well but it had been recognized well before I did it. 
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Marc just to confirm the device was on the Fingbox network?

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it was on FIng’s network.  I have a single network covered by a router and range extender that also acts as a mesh network.  All Linksys...  (RE9000 with a EA9300)
    Carlo_from_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Marc - @Carlo_from_Fing is collecting feedback from this thread so that helps too. 

Carlo_from_Fing
  • ThedociamThedociam Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic

Looks really interesting. Where do I get it?

barry

• AndreaAndrea Member, Beta Tester Posts: 43
    25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    i've just testd on my computer and a Mobile phone but i forgot to save info before test it, i'll do more test this weekend.
    I think will be nice to have info if the device is already scan whit this deep check.
  • joltdudejoltdude Member, Beta Tester Posts: 30
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer
    ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Ran it on a Chromebook, various Amazon Kindles and Fire devices, a few Iphones, an Ipad, an android based phone... a chumby (not sure if that one worked) And a pair of laptops, one Intel NIC, one Dell NIC, 

VioletChepilCarlo_from_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    joltdude said:
    Ran it on a Chromebook, various Amazon Kindles and Fire devices, a few Iphones, an Ipad, an android based phone... a chumby (not sure if that one worked) And a pair of laptops, one Intel NIC, one Dell NIC, 

You have a Chumby?!  I have not powered mine on for about a year, good to hear they still have the service running..  I loved that little TV looking thing.  I've gotta light it up again and see if will still connect.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @joltdude thanks a lot for those tests! did you see improved recognition for those devices?

• joltdudejoltdude Member, Beta Tester Posts: 30
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer
    ✭✭
    Seems to be.. some Amazon devices flipped to being the requisite ereader.... Windows 10 devices got more detailed data... Plus some devices actually now tell you what version of Android they are running... 
    Hronos
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @joltdude! What a feedback.
    Please can you clarify 'Amazon devices flipped to being the requisite ereader' ?
    Do you mean that ereaders are not recognized? Those are the worst, the older the tougher. 

Carlo from Fing

Hronos
  • medvyedmedvyed Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    I tried enhanced recognition on my 3 Apple devices.  Here are the results:
    1. iPad Air 2 running BETA 3 of iPadOS 13.1.3
    • Brand/Model: Apple / iPad (in Fing) should be Apple / iPad Air 2
    • Operating System:  iOS 13.1.3 (in Fing) should be iPadOS 13.1.3
    2. iPad Pro (6th Generation) running iPadOS 13.1.3
    • Operating System: macOS 10.15 (in Fing) should be iPadOS 13.1.3
    3. iPhone Xr running iOS 13.1.3
    • Brand/Model: Apple / iPhone X (in Fing) should be Apple / iPhone Xr
    • Operating System: macOS 10.15 (in Fing) should be iOS 13.1.3
    BTW, I  <3  my Fing Box.

✭✭✭
    What a test, thanks @medvyed
    @Mitch_at_fing we have very good data to validate next week.

Carlo from Fing

✭✭✭✭✭✭

A positive. Inspired by @medvyed, on my XR, ran the recognition. Fing correctly identified the os as 13.1.3. Previously it did not.

• medvyedmedvyed Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    @Marc, did you ever run any of the public betas of iOS 13 on your iPhone Xr? 
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

i have but not on this XR as it’s my only phone and a little paranoid to do it. I could get it on my iPad if needed.

• UsagiNZUsagiNZ Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    My problem is that my incorrectly detected devices, don't have a browser...
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Carlo_from_Fing, is there a minimum amount of time we need to keep the browser open for a good collection?
    pwmeekVioletChepil