What Fruit-based brands and devices are out there?

Gidster
Gidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
✭✭✭
Has Apple's success inspired others to use fruit naming for their tech brands and products?
The discussion has been triggered by this thread where @Ajax is posting about the Wifi Pineapple!
I've also just posted about the Almond hub here and, of course, the Raspberry Pi is huge in the tech maker community. What other fruity tech is there out there?

Head of Product at Fing

Comments

• Ajax
    Ajax Member Posts: 35
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    As well as the WiFi Pineapple the same company sell the USB Rubber Ducky, Bash Bunny, Packet Squirrel, LAN Turtle and the Plunder Bug but no other fruit based hardware unfortunately.
    Gidster
  • Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm old enough to remember Apricot computers - long long since gone now, but surely it counts!
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    Hronos
  • Gidster
    ✭✭✭
    Pooh said:
    I'm old enough to remember Apricot computers - long long since gone now, but surely it counts!
    Definitely counts!
    Head of Product at Fing
    Gidster
  • Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going even further back in time, Tangerine Computer Systems - the company that ended up releasing the ill-fated Oric-1. Oh how I used to love going to WH Smiths back in the day and writing a quick 3-liner on the Oric-1 to play the multiple number of audible zaps and bangs the Oric had pre-programmed inside the firmware!
    Gidster
  • jacix
    jacix Member Posts: 3
    First Answer Photogenic First Comment
    The Raspberry Pi's success has inspired other companies, both in product and name, like the more-powerful Banana Pi.  I'm just waiting for someone to come out with a Strawberry Pi, or better still, a Chocolate Pi!
    Gidster
  • RichardJansma
    RichardJansma Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Likes Founder Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

Brands named after fruit was/is a tradition.... the founder of raspberry pi also told that the name also came from that tradition... here is a quote from him

Ebden Uptown

“Raspberry is a reference to a fruit naming tradition in the old days of microcomputers. A lot of companies were named after fruit. There’s Tangerine Computer Systems, Apricot Computers, and old British company Acorn, which is a family of fruit.”

but what is the reason? Well I’m also an hypnotist and in my mind comes this reason.... fruits are fresh so people will have the feeling that the system is fresh and new.... also the color Ian important like the blackberry....

in the old days black means high tech (this was stated by the blackberry founder as the reason why it was named blackberry)

but what about the tradition? Well it’s been here since 70s and 80s.

the main reasons that makes the choice of a fruit name to be.

1. easy to remember
    2. I translation issues
    3. good adaptation
    4. fresh look at the product (as customer)
    5. and not bound to one type of product

this is what I think to be the reason why brands use fruit names.

yours Sincerey,

Richard Jansma

Hypnotist, Master Magnetist, Dataist & Beliver of future technology!

Yours Sincerely,

Richard Jansma

Hypnotist, Master Magnetist, Dataist & believer of future technology!

Gidster
  • Gidster
    ✭✭✭
    So, looks like Apple was a follower, not a leader - as is so often the case. They just do it better
    Head of Product at Fing
    RichardJansma
  • Joe
    Joe Member, Beta Tester Posts: 54
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer
    ✭✭✭
    But they still got stuck in a law suit with apple records who originally distributed The Beatles
  • Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just came across a "social media messaging" called Peach. Launched in 2916, rather unsurprisingly it seems to have hit rock bottom soon after launch and had been stuck on apparent life support ever since (it's been over a year since the last update to the iOS app...)