Complete Fingbox Reset

WolfpackWolfpack Member Posts: 7
First Comment Photogenic

Hi all:

I would like to do a complete wipe / reset of my fingbox and start from a clean platform.

I think I’ve reset the box (white/no light) but the fing app and account still show my WiFi name and the devices.

How do I “start over”?

Tulip65

Best Answer

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Wolfpack it could be that the reset is incomplete. Can you try the whole process again?
    Reset Fingbox
    1. Unplug the Fingbox power adaptor from the wall outlet
    2. Find the RESET hole beside the Fingbox power port
    3. Gently insert a paperclip in the RESET hole (very gently)
    4. While keeping the RESET button gently pressed, plug the power adaptor back in
    5. Keep the RESET button pressed for 30 seconds and release (or until a single white light flashes on the device)
    6. You should now see a single white light on
    7. After a few seconds, the top circle will start flashing, while the original factory software is loaded
    8. This process lasts for a few minutes (~3 min)
    9. A single white light will mark the end of the process
    10. Power off the Fingbox
    11. Wait 5 seconds
    12. Power it back on
    Please let me know if anything changes. Then after you can deactivate your account if necessary to move to a new one. It could be the reset is not completed and stuck in limbo.
    Let me know! 

Thanks @Marc for helping out on the deactivation bit! 

Community Manager at Fing

Marc

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,296
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Hi @Wolfpack, try this...  https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/move-fingbox-new-network/

• Locate the network name in the middle of the top bar of the screen – click on the drop-down arrow next to this.
    • This will take you through to the My Networks screen which contains a list of all your networks.
    • Swipe left on the Network with the Fingbox on it and click on the Deactivate that appears. This will remove the network you have already configured, freeing up Fingbox to be assigned to a new network.
    • After you have deactivated the Fingbox, you will be able to connect the box to the new network you’d like it to be on.
    • Just connect it to the new network you’d like to monitor and complete the onboarding again for your new network.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • WolfpackWolfpack Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic

I get a “failed to remove from account” message

• C1p86C1p86 Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Hi @Wolfpack it could be that the reset is incomplete. Can you try the whole process again?
    Reset Fingbox
    1. Unplug the Fingbox power adaptor from the wall outlet
    2. Find the RESET hole beside the Fingbox power port
    3. Gently insert a paperclip in the RESET hole (very gently)
    4. While keeping the RESET button gently pressed, plug the power adaptor back in
    5. Keep the RESET button pressed for 30 seconds and release (or until a single white light flashes on the device)
    6. You should now see a single white light on
    7. After a few seconds, the top circle will start flashing, while the original factory software is loaded
    8. This process lasts for a few minutes (~3 min)
    9. A single white light will mark the end of the process
    10. Power off the Fingbox
    11. Wait 5 seconds
    12. Power it back on
    Please let me know if anything changes. Then after you can deactivate your account if necessary to move to a new one. It could be the reset is not completed and stuck in limbo.
    Let me know! 

Thanks @Marc for helping out on the deactivation bit! 
    Hello, I tried these steps, the top circle started flashing for some minutes, then a single while light switched on. I tried powering off the Fingbox and powring on after 5 or more seconds, but I'm not able to find the fingbox in the connected devices in my router. Any suggestions?
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,053
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @C1p86

I would like to tell you that in order to make the first connection of Fingbox, it needs to be connected directly to the router. If you have multiple devices plugged into the router, then you can use a switch and free one of the ports for Fingbox by connecting those devices to a switch which connects back to the router.  

To assist with setting up your Fingbox set up, under App Settings, please make the following 2 changes: 

1. Disable Reverse DNS Lookup 

2. Change the Maximum network size to match your network size. 

To do this: 

• Open the Fing app, ensure that you are on the Network associated with your Fingbox 

• Tap on the Avatar icon in the top-right corner 

• Choose 'App Settings' 

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house. 

These changes should help with the issues in scanning. 

a) The top circle LEDs never turns GREEN. There is only a WHITE led. 

This means that there may be a problem with the system startup. 

To solve the issue please try a few power cycles and leave the Fingbox for up to 30 mins. Please also ensure that the Fingbox is plugged directly into a power source on the wall (as opposed to a power extension chord) 

b) The top circle is GREEN but the Fingbox is not found 

Make sure to connect the Fingbox to your main router or WiFi access point. Disconnect Wi-Fi extenders or power line bridges. Also, make sure that your mobile phone is connected to same wifi(access point) on which Fingbox is connected. 

Log-in to your account: 

Make sure you are signed in to your Fing account. You can check this from the second tab MY NETWORKS. If not, you may create a new account from that tab, and try to discover again the network to enable the Fingbox. Just click “Get A Fing Account” from the MY NETWORKS tab. 

If you are unable to see the Fingbox, then please remove all old network from the Fing App and then run the scan again and then try to find the Fingbox again. 

To remove old Networks, please follow these steps:  
    1. Open the Fing App  
    2. Click on the Network Tab  

3. From the Top DropDown Menu, long tap on the network that you want to delete.  
    4. Select 'Delete' and then go back  
    5. Go to 'Accounts & Settings' display (by clicking on the icon/avatar in the top right-hand corner of the main display on the screen on the App)  
    6. Click on 'Account storage'  
    7. Click 'Synchronize'  

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • C1p86C1p86 Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment
    It worked, I simply waited half an hour and leds turned green. Thanks