How to integrate Fingbox with home hubs (Home Assistant, Homebridge, openHAB) via IFTTT

VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in Fingbox

A recent review article was posted about Fingbox which explains how you can set-up an integration with home automation systems like Home Assistant, Homebridge or openHab by leveraging our existing integration with the IFTTT service, to bridge the systems.

You can use this integration for home occupancy tracking; i.e. when people come and go from your home and all the standard Fingbox notifications; device online/offline and security alerts for hacking attempts (Evil Twin Access points, Man in the Middle attacks) etc. 

To integrate Fingbox with your Home Hub, you need to use the IFTTT service as a bridge between your Fingbox and Home Assistant. The Home Assistant accepts IFTTT webhooks as triggers. 

You can then set-up on your Home Assistant, to use the service "ifttt_webhook_received" as triggers for your Home Assistant Automations. Learn more about Home Assistant Automations. (translated from Italian) and get started with Fingbox on IFTTT. 

Because of this success, we believe, that other hubs that can manage incoming IFTTT webhooks can benefit from this same integration. 

Does anyone want to test this out with their Home Assistant or other Home Hub? Would you be able to report your findings in a discussion? We’d love to see how you get on and promote that content! 

Read the original article (it’s been translated from Italian).

Read the original article in Italian

Community Manager at Fing

Carlo_from_FingHronosVioletChepilk3vyn32

Comments

• RadioTechnimanRadioTechniman Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    I'll probably use this due to the lack of anything better, but I'm still unsure why we (owners) would want to punch out to the internet and then push it back to our own HA instances, besides the lag, the reliance on a 3rd party and Internet dependency i'm not sure why anyone would want to go that route.
    I would really like to see Fing take the lead in this and show the industry that a smart device also requires (local) connectivity 
    e.g. a GET/POST method or MQTT
    Having something like this would allow us to create the IFTTT connection ourselves 

VioletChepilpetercbcybix
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll probably use this due to the lack of anything better, but I'm still unsure why we (owners) would want to punch out to the internet and then push it back to our own HA instances, besides the lag, the reliance on a 3rd party and Internet dependency i'm not sure why anyone would want to go that route.
    I would really like to see Fing take the lead in this and show the industry that a smart device also requires (local) connectivity 
    e.g. a GET/POST method or MQTT
    Having something like this would allow us to create the IFTTT connection ourselves 

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, we've got a thread on it, which you can upvote: https://community.fing.com/discussion/418/home-assistant-and-fing-access-to-local-api/p1 
    We're trying to use this to gage demand of course. We need to have demand from users before we invest in new things. 29 upvotes on the idea so far but I think we need 1000s since we have over 30k Fingbox users + 250,000 app users per day. 

k3vyn32VioletChepil
  • petercbpetercb Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
    5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    ✭✭
    As RadioTechniman says, why go out to the cloud only to come back in again? MQTT is the way forward - publish an MQTT message for every network event, that would be real integration.
    VioletChepilcybixRHH
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @petercb we have a request on that one here: https://community.fing.com/discussion/418/home-assistant-and-fing-access-to-local-api/p1  if you can please add your upvote too! 

• muddybulldogmuddybulldog Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    While I've added an upvote to the request for local API I want to point out how deficient IFTTT is from a functional standpoint. Most home control platforms are state based with repeated polling of the network to maintain consistency. I have to create pseudo sensors to track state (e.g. presence) and if I miss a trigger from IFTTT, for whatever reason, that state is now wrong. For example, I can't trust that just because the last message I got was as the result of me LEAVING the house means I'm not home because I may never have gotten the message that said I ARRIVED at the house. The inability to ask for a reconciliation makes the platform more or less useless .
    cybix