New Vodafone vox3.0 (THG3000g) router compatibility

bventer
bventer Member Posts: 2
First Comment

Has anyone experienced issues with the compatibility of the new Vodafone vox3.0 router?  It is not currently listed as an incompatible router but the Pause Internet function does not seem to work ? 

Tagged:

Answers

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello there @bventer nice to meet you.
    Is the bandwidth analysis feature working alright?
    Is this only happening with a certain device? Or all devices?
    Is IPv6 disabled?
    Is there a firewall on your network? 
    Fingbox requires the following opened ports to work fully:
    Allow Fingbox to reach any IP address on the following TCP ports: 80, 443, 4443, 5671. In addition, the ports needed for the Internet Speed Test, provided by M-Lab include 3001, 3002, 3003.
    Can you please also check your time-zone settings here: https://app.fing.com/app#user:settings and make sure they are alright? Sometimes, if the timezone is not set correctly, this can make the pause happening at the wrong times for example.
    Anyways, let me know on the above and we can go further from there!
    Cheers.
    Violet

Community Manager at Fing

• bventer
    bventer Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Hi Violet thank you for you quick response.  In reply to your queries/suggestions:

Is the bandwidth analysis feature working alright? yes

Is this only happening with a certain device? Or all devices?  Weirdly - only devices connected via WiFi, LAN cable connected devices work fine

Is IPv6 disabled? Yes I believe so.  Although I cannot find this setting on the router (and Vodafone helpline was a waste of time), I managed to confirm on one of the wifi connected devices (iPad) that there was no ipv6 address assigned to it by the router.  I did this by connecting to this test site test-ipv6-vm4.comcast.net and additionaly by installing 2 network apps (Net Analyser and WhatIsMyIP) from the Apple App store.  Finally, all the visible network values on the router config page refer exclusively to ipv4. 

Is there a firewall on your network? Yes.  I have tried disabling it - no effect.

Fingbox requires the following opened ports to work fully:
    Allow Fingbox to reach any IP address on the following TCP ports: 80, 443, 4443, 5671. In addition, the ports needed for the Internet Speed Test, provided by M-Lab include 3001, 3002, 3003.
    I have tested with my old Vodafone router (vox 2.5 HHG2500) and the Pause Internet works fine so I am assuming that the issue is not with any ports not open on the individual devices?

Can you please also check your time-zone settings here: https://app.fing.com/app#user:settings and make sure they are alright? Sometimes, if the timezone is not set correctly, this can make the pause happening at the wrong times for example.
    Check - is correct.

So the Pause Internet issue appears to be specific to devices connected via wifi?
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I need more help on this one from @Robin. We'll investigate and revert shortly. 

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @bventer
    Is the BLOCK function working on the devices? Or only Pause? 

Applications, such as Youtube, will often download packets of data in advance so as to make the use of them smoother. You will see this on Youtube in the bar along the bottom of the video. The line in red indicates how far through the video you are, but you will also see a grey line further ahead of the red – this grey line shows you where the application is in downloading the data. As this data has already reached your device and does not require the Internet to watch,  when the Internet is paused Youtube will continue to play the video until the red line catches up with the grey line. When it catches this up the video will stop working as Youtube is unable to access the Internet to download more data.
    This catch-up process can sometimes take a minute or so, so if you want to know immediately if an Internet Pause has worked try refreshing or opening a new screen.
    If you still have access to the Internet at this point it could then be one of 3 things that are preventing the block from working.
    • IPv6 – this is a method of communication that some devices use when IPv4 is blocked. Unfortunately, Fingbox cannot block IPv6 communications. If you feel comfortable, and if your router allows it, you can disable IPv6 within your router settings. All devices communicate on IPv4 so it should not impact the average user’s network performance.
    • Incompatible Router – Fingbox pauses Internet using a technique called ARP spoofing. Some routers contain software designed to block ARP spoofing, so prevent Fingbox performing this feature. 
    • Firewalls – Fingbox generally plays very well with firewalls, but like with the routers, there may be some software in the firewall that clashes with the Fingbox software.