Add multiple account capability to Fing App

lancem
lancem Member Posts: 2
Photogenic
It would be really really helpful for those of us who monitor networks belonging to other people if there was a way to switch between accounts in the app -- or better yet, be able to share a network with multiple accounts (ala Google Wifi with their Owner and Manager roles for a network).
Otherwise, I setup a network with my account, then the user (who owns the network) can't monitor it themselves without having my info.
And if I have multiple networks with different owners, then either all of us are sharing the same account (which lets owner 1 see owner 2's network) or I'm logging-in and out of the app.
Lee_BoJedWare

Best Answer

• Lee_Bo
    Lee_Bo Member Posts: 271
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer
    I believe that's where Domotz (https://www.domotz.com/) would come in handy.
    Now with that being said, I'm not.....NOT....a fan of yearly subscriptions, but after playing with Domotz I may have to reconsider.
    gfondeur

Answers

• Patrick_Shu
    Patrick_Shu Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    Domotz Agent is available on the FingBox as a subscription service.  You can find more info here: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/domotz-pro-can-now-installed-fingbox-hardware/
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes multi-user management is offered by Domotz. We don't currently have plans to add this feature to Fingbox. I guess we haven't seen a huge amount of demand from the home user case, but moreso in the professional environment (providing tech support to others) - which is the main user cases Domotz is covering. 
    Just moving this thread over to the Fing App area here:
    https://community.fing.com/categories/fing-app 

Community Manager at Fing

• mozarella
    mozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 128
    100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Likes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    actually i'll also be happy to see this feature within fing in future. Because i'm the technican in the family, especially computer-technics. So i have putted fingboxes within my family (different cities) and i'm managing this with only one (my) fing account. It'll be better to get accounts for each fingbox place (parents, brother, me) and include all of them to a manager-account.

I'm also using fingbox in office, because i'm not the deep networking-freak. We are more in commercial business not technical business. So fingbox is quite interesting for networkmonitoring. Bigger versions like domoz and all other systems are too difficult to manage beside daily operations. We are using only one shared account for more fingboxes, which is not really nice.
    mozarella
    Gidsterlancem
  • Lee_Bo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now with that being said, I'm not....NOT..a fan of yearly subscriptions.  But after looking at Domotz I may have to reconsider that.
    Domotz
  • Lee_Bo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now with that being said, I'm not....NOT..a fan of yearly subscriptions.  But after looking at Domotz I may have to reconsider that.
  • JedWare
    JedWare Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

Domotz does not support blocking users internet. It is more geared towards monitoring. I too have family with Fing boxes and would love to be able to setup multiple users.

• mozarella
    mozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 128
    100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Likes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder, why domoz is mentioned so often. Actually i thought here is a fing community, isn't it?
    Domoz is another kind of monitoring system, working another way and the usability is different. Data-storage is different. Also the monthly fee is different. Most things, i try in my private LAN, i moved to office's LAN. I'm working in a beer brewery in germany in IT-department. So we have maybe 90 % of the day commercial things to do, only 10 % is technical things. So fingbox is giving me quite a lot of functionality with a kind of easy usage.
    Just two things could be better (in office's use, but also at home use). One is giving the ability to use different accounts for one / more networks, like mentioned in this threat. And the other hand side is, have a desktop app which is connecting to fingbox like the mobile app. See what's going on with fingbox's monitored networks directly at a big screen, block and unblock devices, filter and sort. I'm always using an iphone laying on my table for access to fing.app because there's no other way. Webapp is quite reduced of functionality and the new desktop-app is not working with fingbox.
    I think, more people will be happy, if they could use different accounts for different fing-boxes.
  • JedWare
    JedWare Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Some capability to share fingbox results with other users is really needed.  There are so many cases where multiple people would like to view the results of a fingbox.  Just the use case of a mother and father monitoring kids time and usage should be enough of an incentive to add this feature.