Managing Work / Guest Networks on Airport time capsule

WolfpackWolfpack Member Posts: 7
First Comment Photogenic
edited October 2019 in Fingbox
Hi, All:

I currently have an airport time capsule that I use as my primary wifi router.  I have a dedicated (hidden) wifi for most devices and a guest network for "outside" devices (Firesticks, webcams, thermostats, etc).

I have my fingbox set up on the dedicated wifi.  I can see the guest wifi through Fingbox when i connect to it on my iPhone, but cannot manage the devices.

Can I connect a second FingBox to the Airport time capsule and manage the guest network?

Answers

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Wolfpack - usually guest networks are closed off and you may not be able to manage them. 
    The guest network creates a separate network gateway so that network cant connect with main network and keep connections separate. The Fingbox is designed for the average home network. It can manage/control one LAN or VLAN and one 2.4 GHz /5 GHz Wi-Fi network with the same SSID. You will need to pick one of your SSID to monitor/control via the Fingbox.

There a few things that are best practices: 

1.  On a large number of routers the Admin user ID an password are right on the bottom of the router.  

2. Some Guest & primary networks share the same password.  
    Every home grade router has these features and please follow these steps for adding security: 

1.  Change the admin password to something with 11 characters or more.  11 characters as a base make it hard for password crack utilities to break.  Having more than 16 is even better.   

2. Change the Guest network password or even turn it off when not in use. 

I'm going to search any more details on the specific device and lets see if any direct users with direct feedback can offer any help on the device. 

Community Manager at Fing

Robin
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,370
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil, if he were to purchase a second fingbox, could he configure it to see the guest network while the original fingbox see's the original network?  I'm assuming both would need to attach via ethernet to the Airport.  As I only have one FB, I can't reproduce the scenario at my location.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • WolfpackWolfpack Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic

This is a more accurate thought. Thanks.

this is my question.

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,386
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Marc said:
    @VioletChepil, if he were to purchase a second fingbox, could he configure it to see the guest network while the original fingbox see's the original network?  I'm assuming both would need to attach via ethernet to the Airport.  As I only have one FB, I can't reproduce the scenario at my location.
    Hi @Marc & @Wolfpack
    yes, if you purchase a second Fingbox then it can be activated on the guest network. As any setup for Fingbox, it needs to be connected to the ethernet port of the router and then complete the onboarding. Once the second Fingbox is connected via ethernet to your router, then you need to connect to guest network on your mobile device and search for Fingbox and add it to your Fing account. You can add multiple Fingbox to the same Fing account as long as they are connected to different network.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    VioletChepilMarcGrammaK
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that response @Robin

Community Manager at Fing

First Comment Photogenic

Hi group.

so I have my second fing box. I want it to manage my guest network.

when I first try to install the second Fingbox, it defaults to my main network (set to block all incoming devices)

how do I set up the second device onto my guest network?

VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Wolfpack said:

Hi group.

so I have my second fing box. I want it to manage my guest network.

when I first try to install the second Fingbox, it defaults to my main network (set to block all incoming devices)

how do I set up the second device onto my guest network?

Did you set your phone to be on the guest network before you began the setup?  @Robin 's steps were to connect it to your router, connect your phone to the guest network, then run setup from the phone.
    VioletChepil
    First Comment Photogenic

I did. I had the phone on guest network. Never see the new Fingbox

interestingly, the new Fingbox wants to connect direct to main network, though

VioletChepil
    First Comment Photogenic

Maybe I should disconnect the main Fingbox?

VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Worth a try.  Report back what you see after that.  Worst case, the fing folks will be online tomorrow and hopefully might have some ideas about what to do next.  @Robin or @VioletChepil, your input would be appreciated if @Wolfpack is still having issues....
    VioletChepil
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,386
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @Wolfpack
    Can you try to open the router settings page and under the guest network settings, see if you are able to see the Fingbox obtaining an IP address and then make sure all ports needed for Fingbox are open. Once this is confirmed, you need to connect your phone to the Guest network and then search for Fingbox. Also, make sure the SSID name is different than of the main router so the Fingbox does not try to connect to the main network.

To assist with setting up your Fingbox set up, under App Settings, please make the following 2 changes: 

1. Disable Reverse DNS Lookup 

2. Change the Maximum network size to match your network size. 

To do this: 

• Open the Fing app, ensure that you are on the Network associated with your Fingbox 

• Tap on the Avatar icon in the top-right corner 

• Choose 'App Settings' 

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house. 

These changes should help with the issues in scanning. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    GrammaK