Feature request: FingBox app needs more/better choices for new devices on the network.

I like my FingBoxes, but I'm finding them to be a little inconvenient in the way they handle new devices on the network. The FingBox app offers for me to "Identify" or "Manage" them, but I think this process needs to be improved with more/better choices.

Sometimes I'd like to be able to dismiss the notification without doing anything with it. For example, if I have a temporary device device that appeared on my network - or one that went away before I could figure out what it was - then I'd like to be able to just dismiss it without accepting or blocking it. The app doesn't appear to allow me to do that.

I'd also like to not be required to assign "personal" devices like an Apple Watch, iPhone, etc. to an individual. I don't always wear my Apple watch, but if it's assigned to me then Fing thinks I'm home if the watch comes up on the network when it's just sitting on the charger. I could just assign it to an imaginary user, but I'd rather there be a way to not assign it to a user at all so it's not used as an indicator of presence.

When a new device comes up on the network and I "Manage" it, I'd like to be able to give it a name as part of the process - vs. accepting it on the network and then having to go to the Devices list to give it a name, etc.

Also: Once accepted onto the network, how can I remove a device from the Devices list? If there isn't a way... there should be.
JohnTheRealElbadoopikatoste
3 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @TheRealElbadoo thanks for your suggestion. I've turned this one into an idea and moved it over to the Fingbox feature requests queue. Now you can add your upvote to the idea and so can others too. Let me know :smile:

Community Manager at Fing

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,823
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil , @TheRealElbadoo had one question in this.  “ Also: Once accepted onto the network, how can I remove a device from the Devices list? If there isn't a way... there should be.”
    I don’t think it’s possible to remove a device as that would kind of defeat the purpose of a network discovery appliance but I will leave it to you as the final authority on the matter.  Otherwise should this be another feature request?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Marc - @TheRealElbadoo - you can temporarily delete a device. 
    Swipe left and delete appears.
    Just curious - what is the use case for deleting a device that is active on the network? Would be difficult since it would be hidden more or less. I guess hide/unhide might make more sense as a filtering option or something?

@TheRealElbadoo - it's best to submit each feature request as a separate idea (unless very closely linked) and questions as a question in the Fing App queue! This helps organize the content on the community. Let me know if any help is needed on my part.  

• TheRealElbadooTheRealElbadoo Member Posts: 7
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment

I had tried the swipe-left gesture and it didn’t work, but I must have used the “wrong left”. Yes, that works fine.

I’m not so much trying to remove a device that’s currently on the network as I am trying to remove one that had been on the network at some time in the past.

For example, suppose I help a friend by reinstalling the OS on their laptop and get it up-to-date with patches. When the work is done, I want to remove any record of it being on my network so I’m notified if they show up again at some point in the future.

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @TheRealElbadoo - yes swipe from right to the left! (on iOS). This feature would work like that - you would see the device again if it did reconnect. It cannot permanently be deleted for example! 

Humph. I made a post to this discussion, edited it to make a minor formatting change, and then somehow it got completely lost. I have no idea where it went, so I'll try again.

@Marc is correct, in that a device can't be deleted - as long as FingBox thinks it's active on the network. That was the problem I was encountering. Once FingBox has declared it inactive then it can be removed with a swipe-left as @VioletChepil suggests.

The rest of my original post was really meant to be a single "feature request" in that I think the whole process for handling new devices on the network should be enhanced. More detail about what I'm asking:

First, the Notifications list should include more information about the devices to be on-boarded. Right now all it shows is the MAC manufacturer; missing is any detail about the device's broadcast hostname, MAC address, etc. Some of that is found in the email notification I receive, but I shouldn't have to look there when I'm working in the app.

The actions to be taken on a new device are a bit non-uniform; sometimes it's Manage, which then brings up a menu to Accept, Block, and (sometimes - but not always) Identify. Sometimes the top-level action is just Identify. Sometimes it's just Assign.
    The Identify functionality itself is a bit of a problem because once I've tapped on an icon to select a device type it either gets automatically Accepted OR it goes to a top-level Assign state where I'm now required to choose a person to own it. If I accidentally picked the wrong device type there's no easy way to change it here.

This all should be made simpler and more uniform. What I propose is that the Notifications list should include more information, like Name, MAC, and IP address, and then have a single Manage function that offers the following choices:
    • Accept - This pulls up a sub-menu that allows optional entry of a name, optional selection of a device type, optional selection of a Person, etc;
    • Block - Maybe also offering optional entry of name, device type, etc. I'm not sure why I'd do that - perhaps I want to block the device for now, but provide some information about it in case I want to un-block it later?
    • Ignore/remove inactive device - if the device is no longer on the network, then allow it to be removed and then re-alert me if it comes up again; this is useful for known temporary devices that I'll never see again - or ones that haven't been tracked down yet so it might be helpful to know when they come back.
    Yes, I know I can make edits to settings from the Devices screen, but it would be far easier if they could be done right when the device is first brought into Fing. What do you all think?
    pikatoste
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheRealElbadoo, i noticed the same thing with your original reply.  Email received that it was there but a dead link.  @VioletChepil, was his original reply censored or rejected for some reason?
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @TheRealElbadoo thanks for the detailed explanation on the usefulness of your feature request. I saw one post of yours ended up in the spam queue - likely because of disconnection/connection maybe? I've released it. I release on a daily basis anything that ends up there which is not deleted. @Marc I do not sensor or reject anything while managing the community without first informing the member what I am doing and why. For example; sometimes I need to delete content that violates the community guidelines or that appears to be phishing or that is written in another language. But I'd always message the member before doing so. Let me know anything further you need from me! 

Disconnection/Connection? Yes, that’s probably the reason, because my FingBox was reporting problems with my provider (Spectrum) all morning yesterday while I was working up my posts.

Thanks for restoring my first write-up, except that (ha) now I look like I’m verbose and repetitive. Like I say the same things over and over. As if I just want to make the same points again and again.

Well I hope I’m at least consistent with what I’m asking for...

✭✭✭✭✭✭

@VioletChepil , thank you for the clarification on the site policy. I was scratching my head trying to figure out what happened to it, after clicking on my email link and finding it gone.

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheRealElbadoo yes sorry about that. It is an automated spam bot called Akismet. And sometimes I guess do to connection offline/online it detects some kind of unusual behavior and flags the content. It doesn't happen too much - but a few here and there that aren't spam get flagged! Would you like me to delete one of the posts? I am happy to do that for you!
    No worries @Marc - I don't sensor anything - the good, the bad, we can take it all :) I only follow the community guidelines on that one! anyways thanks for looking out anyways :) Cheers! 

@VioletChepil - Sorry it's been so long since you asked about deleting my duplicate post. Yes, keep my first October 9th post and delete the second one, and feel free to clean up the thread to remove some of the superfluous discussion about the duplication.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @TheRealElbadoo
    Don't forget to add your upvote too