Managing devices behind Wireless bridges

AustinJerry
AustinJerry Member Posts: 101
25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
✭✭✭
  1. My network has several wireless bridges that communicate with the central router over the wireless network.  The wireless bridges in turn each have four network ports that provide wired network connections to devices in my home theater, like a TV and a DVD player.  Fing cannot effectively “see” or manage the devices on the other side of the wireless bridge, yet the devices appear in the device list as not being connected and without IP addresses.  Is there something that can be done to manage these connected devices behind the wireless bridge more effectively?  

Fingbox owner from the beginning
VioletChepil

Comments

• Lee_Bo
    Lee_Bo Member Posts: 271
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is Fing seeing the actual wireless bridges?
    VioletChepil
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    Fing sees the wireless bridges and recognizes that there are multiple associated IP address behind the bridge.  The IP addresses are actually listed, but Fing does not associate the IP addresses with device names (e.g. Sony TV, Marantz AVR), and the devices cannot be managed the same way as other devices on my network.  For example, if I wanted to measure bandwidth usage, Fing cannot do this.  If it would be useful, I could attach screenshots as examples of what I see.
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised that there has been no feedback on what I consider a major issue with Fing’s ability to monitor and manage my network.  Is using a wireless bridge, or a wireless extender, that uncommon?  Or is it that no one shares my concern for not being able to manage devices behind bridges and extenders?
  • Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wireless Bridges and extenders are in many ways to different beasts. The extender literally just extends the reach of your network, whereas a bridge connects two separate networks together.

My guess here out a that it is possible that the bridge isn't allowing the ARP requests to cross between the 2 VLANs.

Fingbox is a consumer grade device and using a wireless bridge may be seen more of a prosumer activity.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm checking in for additional information on this. I do believe it's likely what @Pooh has shared above. 
    We don't support multi VLANs on Fingbox and don't intend to since this is less common for everyday home networks and more professional grade set-up. For this case, Domotz covers this. Have you checked into Domotz at all? You know since we develop both we didn't plan for overlap too much on features and Fingbox is for homes and Domotz for professional networks. 
    I know that we don't have any plans to support multiple VLANs. 
    @Pooh does a wireless bridge creating another VLAN? 

Community Manager at Fing

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    some more information on this one!
    Could it be that the bridge is creating a separate network which is why you are not able to manage the devices? 
    The Fingbox is designed for the average home network. It can manage/control one LAN or VLAN and one 2.4 GHz /5 GHz Wi-Fi network with the same SSID. You will need to pick one of your SSID to monitor/control via the Fingbox. 
    You will have to choose the network you want to monitor/control to put the Fingbox and use the Fing App to access the Fingbox. 
    Are all devices are connected to your network on which the Fing App is currently connected to? If you are connected to the 5ghz network and Fing is connected to the 2.4ghz network even though they all have the same name, you might not see the devices connected under the Device tab. And, if the router has multiple network interface which provides multiple frequencies(2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), and the devices are able to connect to multiple access points then you will see multiple names but only one will be active at a time and others will be greyed out. 
    V2 Fingbox has the 5Ghz support: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/fingbox-v2-faqs/

• Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Pooh does a wireless bridge creating another VLAN? 
    If memory serves it depends on how it's configured and the capabilities of the bridge. I have a recollection that out the box, separate VLAN's would be used and that for some wireless bridges, you had no choice.
    VioletChepil
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t know the answers to your questions because of my limited network expertise.  All I can tell you is that Fing identifies that there are multiple IP addresses associated with the wireless bridge, but Fing cannot identify device name or type, nor can any of the network tools, like bandwidth usage, be used on the devices behind the bridge.
    VioletChepil
  • Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2019 #10

@AustinJerry please also remember that the Fingbox is a Consumer level device and designed to be used in most normal households.

Wireless bridges, whilst popular a few years back, are not often used by most home users, with folk these days preferring to use one or more Mesh devices, or Routers and access points connected either by a wire or via a dedicated backhaul.

Given that the Fingbox works some of it's magic with the ARP protocol, depending on the bridge, these packets might not make it through, hence you seeing partial information.

IIRC only a fully level 2 compliant bridge will handle ARP packets. Given the Switched nature of many bridges they may cache the MAC addresses of the connected devices and then consume packets sent to those addresses instead of passing them on (oddly enough a bit like the way the Fingbox acts as a gateway to blocked devices)

@VioletChepil is this something that Domotz supports better?

VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see if @Domotz can add anything about support of wireless bridges etc. I know that we are not supporting multi-VLANs. 

• Domotz
    Domotz Member Posts: 6
    First Answer Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    Yes @Domotz has support for multi-vlan  and external subnet monitoring. Why do not give a try. If you have already a Fingbox you can easily install Domotz (steps are here). Alternative you can install  Domotz agent on a number of other platforms . The Domotz trial is completely free and lasts for 21 days. I would recommend to experiment if it can work for your case. Also you are welcome to contact [email protected] if you need any issue or clarification. 

• Domotz
    Yes @Domotz has support for multi-vlan  and external subnet monitoring. I am sure you can find a configuration to make it working for your case. Why do not give a try? If you have already a Fingbox you can easily activate Domotz there (steps are here). Alternative you can install  Domotz agent on a number of other platforms . The Domotz trial is completely free and lasts for 21 days. I would recommend to experiment if it can work for your case. Also you are welcome to contact [email protected] if you need any issue or clarification. 

• Domotz
    Yes @Domotz has support for multi-vlan  and external subnet monitoring. I am sure you can find a configuration to make it working for your case. Why do not give a try? If you have already a Fingbox you can easily activate Domotz there (steps are here). Alternative you can install  Domotz agent on a number of other platforms . The Domotz trial is completely free and lasts for 21 days. I would recommend to experiment if it can work for your case. Also you are welcome to contact [email protected] if you need any issue or clarification.